Stereo Bee

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

martincito

Stereo Bee

Post by martincito »

Bee found dead in garden, cleaned as best I could with some Bluetack on end of a pin.
230 images taken with T3i, 2 sec exposure with flash at second curtain, f/7.1, 100mm 2.8L macro plus Raynox M-250.
Processed with Zerene PMax with some retouching, generated stereo then into PS Elements to extract heads, move them closer together, adjust levels and sharpened (USM 160%, 0.7 px), Bicubic resize and saved for Web. I get a stereo effect... revealing all the dust I missed with the Bluetack!

I'm not sure if the differences between the right and left image is just due to them being a stereo pair, or if I inadvertently made the right-hand side wider and with richer colour due to my inexperience with Photoshop.

Comments, advice, criticism etc welcome.

Martin

dbur

Post by dbur »

I'm not getting any stereo effect from this. How did you do it?

martincito

Post by martincito »

dbur wrote:I'm not getting any stereo effect from this. How did you do it?
I fuse the images "in the usual way", which for me means staring at the space between the two images, crossing my eyes by trying to stare through the screen so instead of just two images I see 3 or 4, then lining up the middle one, waiting until a fused image emerges and concentrating on it until it becomes stable. Adjusting the distance between your eyes and the screen can sometimes help. It takes a bit of practice to get the knack...

Regards,

Martin

dbur

Post by dbur »

I can fuse the images. I just don't see any 3D effect in this image.

martincito

Post by martincito »

dbur wrote:I can fuse the images. I just don't see any 3D effect in this image.
Aaah! I think I can, but maybe it's wishful thinking :)

canonian

Post by canonian »

Odd stereo, but I'm not shure about the 3D effect.
In the right frame I see some type of ghosting?
You made a lot of images on this stack, you probably could have done it with much less. What do you use for micro movement?

It's been a long time since I have seen white vignetting applied in PP, made it look like a vintage photograph. Nice!

martincito

Post by martincito »

I just went back to the Zerene project and concluded that I need to work through a tutorial on generating stereo pairs!

The micro movement was controlled by the micrometer of a linear stage.

The Zerene output has areas of streaks suggesting (to me) that the camera wasn't lined up squarely with the direction of movement.

So its back to the to drawing board...

In the meantime, here is a non-stereo version.

Martin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

martincito wrote:I just went back to the Zerene project and concluded that I need to work through a tutorial on generating stereo pairs!
It's not exactly a tutorial, but some brief description here: http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/do ... _this_done

--Rik

martincito

Post by martincito »

Still a long way to go, but here is my first attempt after reading Rik's description...

Does this version look 3-D?

Martin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Close. It's inverted for crossed-eye viewing (proper for parallel, using a viewer), and the separation is small so that the 3D looks shallow. Swap the sides, increase the +-% separation, and I think you'll be happier.

By the way, there's an odd "ghost" that manifests as a halo and several duplicated pollen grains, under the base of the wing, on the right side of the image. I don't know what's causing this, but my guess is that there was some kind of a "twitch" while the stack was being shot. You can explore that issue using the techniques described HERE.

--Rik

martincito

Post by martincito »

Thanks Rik.
I think the ghost was caused by the axis of the lens not being exactly parallel to the direction of movement of the linear stage.
I'm beginning to appreciate that attention to detail is critically important, and that isn't exactly one of my strong points!

Martin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic