Ice abstracts

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

Ice abstracts

Post by LordV »

Thin ice sheet shot against some different backgrounds (mainly an orchid). All shots were focus stacked using zerene stacker. Taken around 2 or 3:1 FF handheld.

Brian v.

www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

abpho

Post by abpho »

The four images with the colour are trippy.

DQE

Post by DQE »

Very enjoyable and unusual abstract patterns, well-photographed.

-----------
For whatever reasons, the ice we have where I live on the ocean in southern Maine simply doesn't form into such patterns. Part of this may be due to the small amount of salt from the ocean spray that is often present (just a speculation on my part).

The area of the UK where you live and photograph continues to impress me as an unusual micro-climate! Your extremely varied and beautiful macro photographs are even more unusual!
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

LordV

Post by LordV »

Thanks for the comments :)

Phil - this is what I would call marginal ice - very thin coating on some water. The odder ice structures seem to form on the underside of the ice. In this case the gas bubbles were only present around the edge of the ice.
The air temp at the time was actually around 2.C so this had formed from a ground frost effect.
I suspect your temps are a lot colder resulting in thick solid sheets of ice. You could try putting out a dish of water and then looking at it fairly shortly after the ice had started to form on the surface.

Brian V
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic