...still macrophotos with wide-angle perspective...

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dolmadis

Re: ...still macrophotos with wide-angle perspective...

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks. That helps to know. In a few weeks I shall have the chance to see what it can do out of the box. I have the straight version.

BR, John

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Tonikon wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:54 am
That's the culprit, right there!
Dear Toni,

Do you think you could draw a diagram showing all lenses and other separators in sequence? I am afraid I have trouble interpreting the photo and subsequent descriptions...

Wim
--- felix filicis ---

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

I believe, but I'm not sure, that a pinhole lens is built with the "objective + relay lens" system. By moving the position of the lenses (by trial and error, because unfortunately I am not an expert in physical optics) I was able to increase the coverage circle of the relay lens, until to cover the MFT format. This is possible because the c-mount pinhole lenses are easily demountable. Again by trial and error, I also managed to greatly increase the focal plane, so as to be able to insert the "thickness" of a focuser tube. Optical quality, however, has deteriorated a bit (oncrease of CAs). I would like to say, however, that with this system you cannot really increase the depth of field (which is mathematically determined, as in all optical systems), but you have the advantage of having a wide angle with a very small "tip". This makes "mechanically" possible to shoot wide-angle macro shots even with very small (and close) subjects.
Something similar can also be achieved by special optical video systems, such as the "Frazier lens", built by an Australian photographer who has worked extensively on relay optical systems. You can find a lot about Frazier lenses through Google.
IMHO, howewer, the increase in DoF always remains an illusion ...

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Tonikon wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:24 am
By moving the position of the lenses (by trial and error, because unfortunately I am not an expert in physical optics) I was able to increase the coverage circle of the relay lens, until to cover the MFT format. This is possible because the c-mount pinhole lenses are easily demountable. Again by trial and error, I also managed to greatly increase the focal plane, so as to be able to insert the "thickness" of a focuser tube.
In what way are the lenses demountable please?

Does this mean that they can be moved and secured again within the tuble?

Best, John

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

The design rather reminds me of the Venus Optics Laowa 24mm f/14 "probe" lens, which retails for over $1000. You know, this weird thing:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... x9EALw_wcB
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

John, all the c-mount pinhole lenses I've seen are made up of 3 main blocks of lenses inserted into as many threaded tubes. With a little DIY skill :idea: , you can unscrew the tubes and change their length. Unfortunately, I cannot disassemble my modified pinhole to show it because to make it more stable I had to glue some parts with two-component glue and now we need a hammer !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mark, you are absolutely right: =D> the Laowa 24mm f / 14 is a supersized and overpriced pinhole lens. The reduced brightness (f/14) depends on the fact that the relay lens works as a sort of teleconverter ... the more it magnifies the more it reduces the brightness and the Laowa magnifies up to full-frame !!!

hayath

Post by hayath »

Very cool DIY and results!
Love the perspective on the Isopod

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic