A little nature at my workplace

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dissent

A little nature at my workplace

Post by dissent »

Found this little lady who spun her web well above my head at my workplace. Had to get a ladder to get close. Also had to get a bit bendy even to get this, and my body doesn't do bendy as well as it used to.

Can anyone here tell what species I'm looking at?
Spider overhead orb weaver for PMN.jpg
- Ian
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

MarkSturtevant

Re: A little nature at my workplace

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I 'lean' toward the marbled orb weaver, Araneus marmoreus. But many of the orb weavers in this genus are hard to tell apart based on their markings since their colors are so variable. I have thought that one way to gain confidence in their ID from field markings is to look at the underside of the abdomen, which is also distinctly marked but less variable.
Here is what that species looks like from there: https://bugguide.net/node/view/1453968 Particularly its the black central spot with pale lateral borders that run along the entire length of the black center.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I was thinking Zygiella x-notata
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

dissent

Post by dissent »

I have a few ventral shots. Let me dig one up later to post.
- Ian
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic