Violet Darter

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Violet Darter

Post by Dalantech »

I stopped at Lago d'Averno and photographed this Violet Darter in the heat of the day. I know the habits and quirks of this species, so it's not too difficult to get right on top of them even when they are actively hunting. At life size my flash is at the maximum distance that it will get from the subject, so this represents my worst case light quality.

ImageViolet Darter IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

After getting the life size shots I wanted I turned the MP-E 65mm macro lens to 2x.

ImageViolet Darter V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This is the highest magnification that I photographed the Violet Darters at Lago d'Averno (3x). A guy on a motorcycle was taking an unhealthy interest in what I was doing and my gear so I left. I've often considered starting a photography club here in the Naples, Italy area but it might just turn into a support group for people who've had their camera stolen.

ImageViolet Darter VI by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set from 1x to 3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT (E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC). These are single, uncropped, frames taken hand held. In post I used Denoise AI, and Clarity in that order.

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Violet Darter

Post by Pau »

Nice devil looking dragonfly, very adequate for the Averno
Pau

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Pau wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm
Nice devil looking dragonfly, very adequate for the Averno
Thanks!

I never made that connection, but you're right! :)

Thagomizer

Post by Thagomizer »

Neat shots. The closest one shows variation in eye element size I wasn't aware of in these. Very interesting.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Thagomizer wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:24 pm
Neat shots. The closest one shows variation in eye element size I wasn't aware of in these. Very interesting.
Thanks!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very well done. The eye facets of insects are different in different parts of the eyes. They are probably used for different things (maybe for detail versus sensitivity to movement, or for seeing different light colors). I have not looked into it.

There are security tethers for cameras that would make them harder to take.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:07 pm
Very well done. The eye facets of insects are different in different parts of the eyes. They are probably used for different things (maybe for detail versus sensitivity to movement, or for seeing different light colors). I have not looked into it.

There are security tethers for cameras that would make them harder to take.
Thanks!

I remember reading somewhere that the different facets are used for different stages of flight and hunting.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

An outstanding sequence; your handholding abilities are remarkable, I envy them!

Leonard

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

leonardturner wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:12 am
An outstanding sequence; your handholding abilities are remarkable, I envy them!

Leonard
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic