non bug pictures

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

klevin

non bug pictures

Post by klevin »

Is there a separate section for nature pictures of things other than insects? Plants have lots of interesting features, for example, especially at the macro level.

Just curious.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: non bug pictures

Post by rjlittlefield »

We do not have divisions by type of subject, only by method of photography.

It's an interesting question, why do we have so many more photos of insects than plants?

I have no idea, but at this moment the "score" seems to be about 47.5 to 1.5, on the first page of Nature.

The only pure plant photo that I see is Adalbert's flower at viewtopic.php?t=42053 . Guido's raspberry seems to be half raspberry, half bug, maybe with emphasis on the bug, but that's where my 0.5 comes from.

Any insights from other people? Why so few plants?

--Rik

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

I don't know. Maybe because we can relate to them more, on some level. Bugs have eyes, different from ours, but fascinating. They eat, they mate, they may be predators. They may be startling when seen in detail, frightening even; ever fantasize on living in a world where mantids are our size?

Leonard

klevin

Post by klevin »

Plants have their curiosities, too. This really becomes apparent when you close in on true macro. But yes, I agree that bug eyes have a kind of fascination!

When the weather cools and stuff outside stops growing, I'll post a few of my favorites. I tend to use warmer weather as shooting weather, and save post processing for the long winter months up north here!

David Sykes

Post by David Sykes »

Maybe because the component parts of most flowers do not vary as radically as the component parts of insects.
In other words ............ they are not as interesting, we more or less know what we are getting.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I wonder why all people are not fully absorbed into bugs 24/7. I think about them literally all the time. My favorite dreams are dreaming about finding crazy big and weird bugs that don't exist. Oddly, the dream version of myself is delighted but not surprised at finding these monsters.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

David Sykes

Post by David Sykes »

Although I believe all living things (including humans) are programmed biological machines, the machine aspect is most obvious in insects,especially ants.
I can almost visualise writing their code :-)
The tricky part is how the code wrote itself.

But I digress ........

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic