Butterflies and silver reflector

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DeVil

Butterflies and silver reflector

Post by DeVil »

A little experiment with silver reflector (50cm)

Backlight is natural and I'm just using silver reflector as a kind of fill light to open the shadows :)

2. without reflector

4.without

5. and with reflector

Field setup look like this

And here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Pkd6xCQRg

The problem is that the reflector can be used only in the early morning when the temperatures are low. When the insects are warmed up reflector can only scare them away :lol:

By changing the angle of reflector you get a different light strength

Last edited by DeVil on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DQE

Post by DQE »

Really interesting and informative series. I love the lighting effects you've illustrated, and the examples posted are quite enjoyable.

It's not an accident that Canon calls its best photographers "explorers of light" (from memory - hope I haven't got that name wrong...).

I've also seen photography described as painting with light. Your photos demonstrate these labels very well.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Rewarding results. Also a very useful option if you are obliged to use backlight.

A white reflector would give a more subtle effect, if required.

For a 'warmer' effect you could use a gold reflector but I find that the colour of the fill light suits relatively few subjects.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Very nice demonstration, really like those backlit shots with the reflector!

The etymological root of the word photography is literally 'painting/drawing with light'

DeVil

Post by DeVil »

Thanks all for the kind comments :)

orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Lovely NL backlit series DeVil :)

Joaquim F.

Post by Joaquim F. »

Really nice demonstration of a quite easy way to open shadows. The butterfly is a very patient model in this great series!
I'm intrigued about the tripod configuration with the manfrotto 410 head.
The column is in a angle and the head "replied" in a manner i don't never try, have some advantage? better stability may be?
Thanks

Best regards

crisarg

Post by crisarg »

Lovely photos and demonstration.

Thanks!
Cristian Arghius

Flickr

DeVil

Post by DeVil »

Thanks Kurt, Joaquim and Cristian :)

Found this butterfly early in the morning (about 10°C) and it was stood still more than half an hour. Eventually, the butterfly's muscles warm up, and it's fly away.

Joaquim, I use Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod (Black) and the only thing why the central column is in a low angle is to be in level with the butterfly. In central position (90°) lens could not be able to come down so low :)

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

very interesting and informative

I have only started experimenting with NL and I know very little about different techniques, this has been very useful.

I think I will include such reflector in my bag!

Martin

PS: of course, the shots are gorgeous!

DQE

Post by DQE »

I have and sometimes use a small (6-inch or 150mm) very portable reflector and can quickly attach it to a plamp/tripod or just hold it or place it in some other way.

My thought is that a mirror reflector would gather more light the bigger it is, but with a diffuse reflector the angular size as seen by the subject would seem to be the more relevant parameter.

Does absolute reflector size matter much for macro photography at about 1x or higher?

Perhaps it isn't too big an issue since these foldable reflectors are all very lightweight and can be compressed to fit in one's kit bag.
-Phil

DeVil

Post by DeVil »

Thanks Martin and Phil :)

Phil, does size matter (diffuse reflector size :mrgreen: )? -I think so.
The higher diameter - greater the difference in light. Smaller reflector gives strong light as the bigger reflector but smaller reflector can't deliver less light (than a bigger). Light bounced off the peripheral (reflector) parts gives a poor light (which in some cases is very significantly in order to get more natural light) and as diameter is larger received light can be less.

(Sorry for bad English) I use a translator

DQE

Post by DQE »

DeVil wrote:Thanks Martin and Phil :)

Phil, does size matter (diffuse reflector size :mrgreen: )? -I think so.
The higher diameter - greater the difference in light. Smaller reflector gives strong light as the bigger reflector but smaller reflector can't deliver less light (than a bigger). Light bounced off the peripheral (reflector) parts gives a poor light (which in some cases is very significantly in order to get more natural light) and as diameter is larger received light can be less.

(Sorry for bad English) I use a translator
Maybe I'm thinking about angular size as seen from the subject's position versus absolute size of the reflector.

Would a small size reflector positioned closer to the subject work the same as a larger reflector positioned further away? I realize that being able to work further away would have many advantages, such as not frightening the bugs.
-Phil

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

DQE wrote:Would a small size reflector positioned closer to the subject work the same as a larger reflector positioned further away? I realize that being able to work further away would have many advantages, such as not frightening the bugs.
Without having made actual measurements: I can say that I use large and small reflectors with similar frequency on flowers/plants, etc. in the open air. The only technical issue is the coverage of the imaged area with reflected light. The equivalent consideration applies to large and small diffusers, with the same conclusion. All things being equal, if using one hand to hold the reflector/diffuser, the smaller size is much easier to control, in particular when there is any wind.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I believe the critical parameter is how big the reflector would be, looking from the subject. The subtended angle. So closer and smaller, can be the same as bigger further away.
If the background is part of the subject, you need the reflector further back so it's bigger.
If the subject is small, the reflector can be somewhat focused to concentrate the light, particularly if it's something like metallic silver. You can often do that with the Lastollite type springy reflectors. If you overdo it you wind up with unwanted extra shadows which look awful!

A small amount of fill-flash from the camera's pop-up, if it has one, can work wonders, but keep it weak. If you set it to TTL but at minus 3 stops, that's a fair start. An additional advantage can be that you get a "catch light" in the eye. Perfect for Razorbills!
Last edited by ChrisR on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic