Attaching DSLR to microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Vvdw1

Attaching DSLR to microscope

Post by Vvdw1 »

Hi, I am a new member here and would appreciate some advice.
I am also new to microscopy and still need to learn a lot. I recently bought a Leica MS5 (in pristine condition) to enable me to view spider reproductive organs and would like to attach my Canon 5 DSR to the Leica.
Please see the attached diagram from the Leica manual. I think the path I marked in green should be a way to achieve this? Everything marked and written in pink, I have or will be delivered soon.
My question relates to the areas marked in blue and red. Firstly, which SLR adapter (marked in blue) do I need and where could I buy one? Secondly, do I need the parts (eyepieces?) marked in red and if so, do they replace the eyepieces I got with the microscope?
Please excuse any stupid questions.
Thanks
Attachments
Leica diagram copy.jpg

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Attaching DSLR to microscope

Post by Pau »

Hi Vida, welcome to the forum!

You're right.
The tube 10 446 175 provides a magnification of 2.5X , adequate for a full frame DSLR
The "SLR adapter" (Leica part 10 447 319) is just a T-mount to Canon EF adapter, a very standard and easy to find accessory, no need of buying it from Leica
Pau

Vvdw1

Post by Vvdw1 »

Thank you Pau. Any idea about the part marked in red?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

They are the eyepieces.
In general the most recommended are 10X, likely you already have them :D
Pau

Vvdw1

Post by Vvdw1 »

Thank you. :) Yes I do, I got 10x and 16x eyepieces with the microscope and the 25x eyepieces are on their way.
As I understand it, the magnification of the eyepieces has no role to play in the magnification I will get in camera?
Please excuse all the questions. :)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

As I understand it, the magnification of the eyepieces has no role to play in the magnification I will get in camera?
Right again!
As you can see in the diagram the phototube captures the image before the eyepieces.

The magnification on camera sensor will be 2.5 X objective magnification X zoom factor
The final magnification will also depend of the size of your monitor, screen, document etc
Pau

Vvdw1

Post by Vvdw1 »

Thank you Pau. Your help is much appreciated. :D

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The ms5 often seems very underpriced--it's the optics of a Wild m3c after all. Someday I will probably pick one up. Please let us know how you like it and share a few pictures when it comes in.

Vvdw1

Post by Vvdw1 »

Will do so, when I've received all the camera attachments. I am very happy with the microscope so far (got it at a very good price with lots of extras). :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic