Schneider Electric Lexium mDrive Smart Stepper

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

J_Rogers

Schneider Electric Lexium mDrive Smart Stepper

Post by J_Rogers »

I have been looking for one of these styles of motors for a long time. The software is always the limiting factor, which is usually on the magnitude of "call for a custom quote" expensive or has to be purchased with a new motor - factory direct. But these Schneider Electric motors are one of the only ones with free and easily obtainable software. Thought I would share it here so y'all could get an idea of what else is out there for a stacking setup.

The Lexium mDrive line has been acquired by Novanta, so they are now called Liberty mDrive motors. You can still buy a few of the older Schneider Electric branded motors new from Radwell but who knows how long that'll last. The screenshot im posting is from the same motor but with the ethernet connectivity option rather than rs485; they also have ones for CANopen and Profinet.

Fully closed loop with a built in optical encoder as well as built in motor controller. IO pins with pins for voltage in and out for accessory systems. All you have to do is convert the rs485 db9 connector to USB and you can fully control the motor via their software. Parker used to sell the motor / stage combo (picture shows a manufacture date of 2018) but it looks like they have switched to their own motor brand.

Linear resolution = ball screw lead / encoder pulses per revolution. This particular stage has a 2mm pitch ball screw & the motor has 4000 pulses with quadrature (surprisingly low) which means this setup should be able to move in 0.5 micron steps without ever missing a step. I cant for the life of me find my rs485 to USB converter so I cant post too much more about it until I can find it.
stage_side-1.jpg
stage_side-8.jpg
stage_side-9.jpg
stage_side-7.jpg
lmd-screenshot.jpg

J_Rogers

Re: Schneider Electric Lexium mDrive Smart Stepper

Post by J_Rogers »

A little update: I have managed to get the motor up and running, at least in part. The RS485 connection has been a total pain, however it is possible without an expensive cable. Come Monday I will be ordering the brand name cable just for my sanity. Still need to work on figuring out the M-Code for programming movements. A green light on the motor driver lights up at 12 volts, and the drive starts accepting communications.
electronics1-1.jpg
electronics1-2.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic