The Unknown Microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

The Unknown Microscope

Post by AlP »

This is the microscope I got for $100. The turret can hold five objectives (only came with four) Zeiss Jena Planachromat + 10x/0.20 ∞/-A, Zeiss Jena GF-Planachromat 40x/0.65 ∞/0.17-A, Zeiss Jena GF-Planachromat HI 50x/1.0 ∞/0-A and Zeiss Jena Planachromat HI 100x/1.30 ∞/0-A. It is not a microscope I am going to use as a microscope. I only wanted the 10x objective. I could give it to the kids next door minus the 10x. From what I understand from previous posting replies is that these objectives require 250mm extension (bummer). It also came with an Olympus camera mount on the trinocular port. There is no manufacturer badging. On the back it says Made in GDR and voltages.
microscope left.jpg
microscope front.jpg
microscope right.jpg

Scarodactyl

Re: The Unknown Microscope

Post by Scarodactyl »

It's a Zeiss Jena industrial scope, probably a pretty nice system. It's probably not ideal as a starter scope since I think it's meant for looking at wafers, though one of those objectives is meant for biological usage so who knows. The old Zeiss Jena scopes aren't tremendously valuable but this was quite high end in its day. I'd probably make an offer on it myself if I had the room for another scope, this could be expanded with apo objectives (assuming you can find them in good shape), probably epi DIC and make for a great platform.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I'm pretty sure that this is not an industrial microscope but a "medical" model, the Jenamed, designed for ease of use with hystological and smear slides, google for "Jenamed"
A good article here: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... named.html
The Planachromat HI 50x/1.0 ∞/0-A and Zeiss Jena Planachromat HI 100x/1.30 ∞/0-A. oil objectives may not indicate industrial use but observation of fixed and stained uncovered smears
Pau

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Ahh, good point. I forgot about blood smears (it doesn't help that the industrial cf250s are styled the same).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic