Excellent Report on the Vivitar/Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro Lens Series!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Excellent Report on the Vivitar/Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro Lens Series!

Post by RobertOToole »

_Vivitar-90mm.jpg

Excellent Marco Cavina Report on the Vivitar/Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro Lens Series on the Noc Sensei site.
I must read for people like me that owned some of these lenses over the years. I'm not sure how Marco Cavina does it but he is the best out there at digging up interesting info on older lenses like no one else can.

Warning! Make sure you have some free time to read over the post, its a lot of info.

Note that text is in Italian so you will have to use a browser with a translater plug-in or use the second link below for a google translated version.

Italian:

https://www.nocsensei.com/camera/tecnic ... c345195412

English translated:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ent=webapp

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Re: Excellent Report on the Vivitar/Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro Lens Series!

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Thanks for the link Robert. It will for sure take a while to digest it all. I love the "Bokina" and have taken quite a few memorable photos with mine. Nice to see it still getting some recognition.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's so nice! Thanks Robert. That was my first macro lens, bought when I was a student, after careful study of the literature then available....and this was my main tool for many decades. I still enjoy mine, though the new Sigma macro lenses are much cleaner.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow, that was interesting, so many kinds of glasses...

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:05 pm
That's so nice! Thanks Robert. That was my first macro lens, bought when I was a student, after careful study of the literature then available....and this was my main tool for many decades. I still enjoy mine, though the new Sigma macro lenses are much cleaner.
Glad you enjoyed the article!

I owned the Tokina 2.5/90 for sometime but eventually sold it #-o

Best,

Robert

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

RobertOToole wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:49 pm
I owned the Tokina 2.5/90 for sometime but eventually sold it #-o
Me, too. The Tokina 2.5/90 was my first "macro lens." I chose it because it was reviewed as a very good standard macro lens, and much cheaper than a micro-Nikkor. I loved it! So much easier, with a far higher hit rate, when shooting up to 1:1, compared with all the "cheaper than a macro lens" approaches I'd tried: Diopters on normal lenses, reversed lenses, stacked lenses, and lenses on bellows. This experience is why I tell newcomers to avoid all those supposedly cost-saving shortcuts and just get a macro lens (in the sense of a lens that focuses to 1:1).

But back in the 1980's, who thought about bokeh? Not me, certainly. I mostly shot the lens at f/16-f/32, to get enough DOF for story-telling images in the close-up realm. Doubt I even once shot this lens opened up to examine the quality of out-of-focus elements. Would find it fun to spend a day with this lens now, shoot it wide open and nearly so, and see what the "Bokineh" excitement is about. (But not sufficient fun, BTW, to warrant purchasing this lens again.)

Then in the 1990's, I went full Nikon for all my lenses--no off-brands for me, then. Purchased a micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF-D, which I still prize--very sharp.

So my Tokina 2.5/90 macro sat on my shelf for years, unused. I eventually traded it for a titanium mountain bike frame. Later, after reading "Bokineh comments," did ask after it, in hope of a brief borrow. But the fellow I traded it to gave it a girlfriend, who says she has no idea what she did with it. Oh well.

Meanwhile, images from the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G have shown enchanting bokeh, though mostly in general, non-macro, shooting. This lens is high on my list to try.

--Chris S.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I bought mine in the early 1980s and it was my main macro lens until about 2010. I used it in an unconventional arrangement because I needed higher magnification and I needed to be able to rotate the camera without moving the center of the FOV. So I used the lens at full extension on a Nikon PN11 extension tube (designed to give 1:1 on the Nikon 105mm lens), which has a very good rotating tripod collar. That gave me close to m=1, which was not enough for the micro-orchids that were my sole subjects back then. So I added the Nikon TC201 2x tetelconverter onto the back of the extension tube. This Tokina lens was sharp enough to handle both those additions and still give me sharp results. I shot thousands of pictures with it. In the film days I never noticed any purple fringing; I think digital sensors are more sensitive to UV light and this may be one reason.

Here are some photos from this lens, scanned from film. Before the days of stacking, depth of field could not be much larger than this without causing poor resolution due to diffraction. The single-flower shots are done with the above set-up, and the FOV is about 15mm in the long dimension.
Lpubes.jpg
Lhippocreppica1653pt.jpg
Lepanthes_ruthiana.jpg
Lepanthes_neillii.jpg
Lepanthes_lophius_ Lou Jost_lophiusRetouched.jpg
Lepanthes_delhierroi.jpg
Lepanthes_craticia.jpg

Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

Nice mini orchids Lou and great pictures!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:28 am

Lpubes.jpg
Lhippocreppica1653pt.jpg
Lepanthes_ruthiana.jpg
Lepanthes_neillii.jpg
Lepanthes_lophius_ Lou Jost_lophiusRetouched.jpg
Lepanthes_delhierroi.jpg
Lepanthes_craticia.jpg
Love the orchids Lou and thanks for the background story!

Best,

Robert

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I have not heard of this lens. Very cool.
Lou, those are amazing orchid pictures. Wowsa ....
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks Mark. These are not a well-known group of orchids. Some of those are my own discoveries. In my valley we have over 100 species of that genus (Lepanthes)!!!!

EricRed

Post by EricRed »

I acquired a nice copy of a Vivitar 90mm and 1:1 adapter with the Canon FD mount. My question regards the green circle on the aperture scale after f/22. I found a copy of the user manual for the lens online. The only reference to the green "O" is as follows:

"Canon Mount lenses have a click stop at the "O" marked EE position. The Aperture Ring may be set at and removed from this position in the same manner as selecting a specifically marked f-stop."

The "EE position" might refer to "Electronic Exposure". I first thought the lens might need to be in this position to attach the 1:1 adapter, but it seems to be the one position that the adapter cannot be attached despite what the user manual says.

It's probably not important, but any ideas?
-- Eric --

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic