Zerene Performance on the new Macbook Pro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bralex

Zerene Performance on the new Macbook Pro

Post by bralex »

Hi all, a bit of testing - I picked up a new MacBook to replace my 2013 model. I've been itching to replace my desktop (home build), but I've not been able to get the parts. I did a single quick comparison of performance on my desktop vs. the new laptop. I'm just giving summary specs.

The PC: AMD Ryzen 1700, 16 GB RAM, operating completely on SSD drives

The Mac: 14" MacBook Pro, M1 Pro, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, it was on battery for this test

The test: 176 TIFF images, each 57.6 MB in size

Zerene Settings: default settings related to performance, selected Align/Stack All, PMax

PC: 5 min 54 sec per the console log
Mac: 3 min 23 sec per the console log (57% of the time required by the PC)

The Mac isn't intended to replace my desktop but now I may have to rethink!

I can give more details if it'd be helpful, but I thought this might be a useful data point.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Zerene Performance on the new Macbook Pro

Post by rjlittlefield »

I had similar results with the M1 mac Mini that I bought with intent to use only for software development.

But it turns out that the mac Mini is now the fastest stacking machine in my collection, significantly outperforming the somewhat dated 6-core 3.4 GHz Intel processor in my desktop.

Even more impressive, the mac Mini does this on only 25 watts of power. I have never heard its fan run.

The table at viewtopic.php?p=272798#p272798 suggests that one can get faster performance from Intel processors, but I think the M1's combination of speed and efficiency will be hard to beat.

--Rik

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

the M1 Pro and the M1 Max are significantly faster then the original M1, and allow for more RAM too.

the affinity photo team posted that the max outperforms the W6900X - a $6000, 300W desktop part

obviously this wont be true for all computing tasks but personally I think apple will have quite an advantage in the near future for a lot of tasks.
chris

bralex

Post by bralex »

Yes, it's a significant redesign of the original M1. I'm hoping for a new Mac Mini, I will probably throw over to 100% Mac when it comes out - I wasn't expecting so large a performance difference for the model I selected. I'll just need some external storage.

A lot of credit to you, too, Rik, for designing your program to take advantage!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

bralex wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:15 pm
A lot of credit to you, too, Rik, for designing your program to take advantage!
More credit to the developers of Java, who taught their just-in-time compiler to effectively target ARM.

Overall performance would be lot more impressive if Zerene Stacker used the GPU also, but redesigning & recoding it to do that effectively would be a bigger job than I can tackle.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic