how to connect Micrometer on focus rail?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

len

how to connect Micrometer on focus rail?

Post by len »

Hi,
Following my last question about manual focusing Rik advice me to use Micrometers. I see some cheap micrometer sliding stage here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32845289892.html which I want to mount on my focus rail so I'll have a course and fine adjustments.
Now my question is a bit stupid but how can I connect it to my rail? Currently, I attach my DSLR directly to the rail with the screw. I need some adapter between DLSR screw and this stage.
Any idea?

P.S. Does anyone know if such a micrometer can hold the weight of a DSLR in a vertical position?

viktor j nilsson

Re: how to connect Micrometer on focus rail?

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Most of us make adapter plates by drilling and tapping some holes in a piece of aluminum. Aluminum is easy to work with, and provides a very solid connection.
Here is just a random photo from this site that I found when I searched for "adapter plate" which nicely illustrates a couple of different way to join different pieces:

len

Post by len »

mmmm I don't have the tools for that. Any other none DIY option?

lothman

Post by lothman »

len wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:01 am
yes there are rails on Aliexpress with coarse and fine drive. Thie fine drive is a micrometer screw and can be used with clamped coarse drive. The coarse drive is about 5mm per revolution what allows stacking out of axial sliding motion in the field (set camera on burst mode, press shutter while moving). And yes system is self locking so vertical application works fine.

Link to a random Aliexpress offer

Pay attention for the orientation of the upper Arca clamp. I ordered one with both Arca dovetails aligned but got it perpendicular. Because the screw holes did not fit for aligned mounting, I got a heavy rebate ;-) and made myself an adapter plate. So ask the seller in advance if you have certain needs.
wrong_slider.jpg

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

lothman wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 am
yes there are rails on Aliexpress with coarse and fine drive. Thie fine drive is a micrometer screw and can be used with clamped coarse drive. The coarse drive is about 5mm per revolution what allows stacking out of axial sliding motion in the field (set camera on burst mode, press shutter while moving). And yes system is self locking so vertical application works fine.
I have tried several such rails without success. The fine-adjusts works well, but the coarse-adjusts have very poor bearings, such that they wobble around quite a bit during adjustment. They are probably fine for up to 1x mag, but for higher powers I could not use them. I have a box full of such things gethering dust, bought in hopes they would be useful.

Can you confirm the one you are showing has tight bearings?

lothman

Post by lothman »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am
lothman wrote:
I have tried several such rails without success. The fine-adjusts works well, but the coarse-adjusts have very poor bearings, such that they wobble around quite a bit during adjustment. They are probably fine for up to 1x mag, but for higher powers I could not use them. I have a box full of such things gethering dust, bought in hopes they would be useful.

Can you confirm the one you are showing has tight bearings?
no complaints, if you tighten the clamp for the coarse drive you can eliminate the play (if not it is as good as any macro rail), fine focus is ballbeared without play.

len

Post by len »

lothman wrote:
Pay attention for the orientation of the upper Arca clamp. I ordered one with both Arca dovetails aligned but got it perpendicular. Because the screw holes did not fit for aligned mounting, I got a heavy rebate ;-) and made myself an adapter plate. So ask the seller in advance if you have certain needs.
wrong_slider.jpg
In your photos, I can't see the grip plate which attaches to the camera. Check my photo below. It look like you can connect the camera to the grip plate with a screw so the camera can be attached in any orientation? Am I missing anything?
If not isn't it possible to release the clamp screw and change the orientation by 90 degrees?
Attachments
clamp.JPG

lothman

Post by lothman »

len wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:15 pm
In your photos, I can't see the grip plate which attaches to the camera. Check my photo below. It look like you can connect the camera to the grip plate with a screw so the camera can be attached in any orientation? Am I missing anything?
If not isn't it possible to release the clamp screw and change the orientation by 90 degrees?
You are right you can fix the camera in any position to the arca plate. But when you use a lens with a tripod collar like this:
Laowa_collar.jpg

then the dovetail of the top plate has to be aligned with the direction of motion. On some of those models you can unscrew the top arca clamp, turn it 90° and bolt it down again. My version did not allow this, and for me it is nice to work with lens collars because they perfectly align lens+camera with stacking movement when stacking.

len

Post by len »

lothman wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:20 am
len wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:15 pm
You are right you can fix the camera in any position to the arca plate. But when you use a lens with a tripod collar like this:
Laowa_collar.jpg

then the dovetail of the top plate has to be aligned with the direction of motion. On some of those models you can unscrew the top arca clamp, turn it 90° and bolt it down again. My version did not allow this, and for me it is nice to work with lens collars because they perfectly align lens+camera with stacking movement when stacking.
Got it. Good idea to align the lens and not the camera to the focus rail.

elf

Post by elf »

len wrote:
You only need a drill and a drill bit. Use machine screws and nuts. You can find the proper size screw and drill size here. It's also very easy to tap aluminum and the taps are inexpensive. The aluminum plate can be cut to size with a hand hacksaw.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

elf wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:45 pm
len wrote:
You only need a drill and a drill bit. Use machine screws and nuts. You can find the proper size screw and drill size here. It's also very easy to tap aluminum and the taps are inexpensive. The aluminum plate can be cut to size with a hand hacksaw.
It's very useful to learn how to do these simple machining tasks. You'd also be surprised at the range of aluminum plate sizes available on eBay. I personally hate cutting aluminum plate, so I always base my designs on available pre-cut plates. But I do my own drilling and tapping to put it all together.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Len,

I didn't see an answer to this question.
len wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:33 am

P.S. Does anyone know if such a micrometer can hold the weight of a DSLR in a vertical position?
-Linear stages with a micrometer head will hold a heavy load like a camera in one direction, against the micrometer rod, but not the other.
-In the wrong direction small preload springs will hold the camera from hitting the floor but it wont work this way anyway since there wont be any contact with the micrometer rod. {-X
-When the stage is level, there are small springs that keeps the stage loaded against the micrometer rod.

Hope this helps prevent any problems when you get it setup.
_460P.jpg
FYI, I prefer Newport 460P quick release linear stages that uses two pins to mount to mount. Takes seconds to mount on any plate with 1/4-20 threaded holes anywhere. :D

Seeing those ultra low-cost focus stages on Aliexpress makes me smile. Those are all copies of RRS, Kirk, Acratech designs from the 90s! LOL! Of course they still sell them but for a lot more than $99. #-o I have a prototype XY setup from Acratech here. Works great and is very compact and light and will last forever. Cant say that about the $99 Chinese units but you can always afford to buy a new set every season after they self-disassemble spontaneously in-the-field. =D> #-o

Best,

Robert

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Adding the number quoted in my reply in len's other thread:
Newport rates their SM-25 as having a 23 lb load capacity (https://www.newport.com/p/SM-25).
--Rik

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:59 pm
Adding the number quoted in my reply in len's other thread:
Newport rates their SM-25 as having a 23 lb load capacity (https://www.newport.com/p/SM-25).
--Rik

Good information Rik, 23 lbs or 10.4 kg, is a higher load that I thought it would be rated for!

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic