20mm Angel Eyes Ringlights

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

20mm Angel Eyes Ringlights

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I ordered a few 20mm Angel Eyes Ringlights off of AliExpress, and just got them. They are similar to the UltraFire types I've been using, but these are actually available. Middle hole is 4mm, but can be reamed to 8mm with minimal incursion into the phosphor ring. I have not integrated them yet but will do that over next couple days and report back. Has anyone else had experience yet with these?

zzffnn

Re: 20mm Angel Eyes Ringlights

Post by zzffnn »

Wow, those 20mm and 40mm ones can be very useful for supermacro and micro. Especially when coupled with thin flexible wiring and battery power.

I don't have skills to rig them, but would be very interested to buy a few, if a member here doesn't mind sharing.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

I have some thoughts / questions / comments on these LEDs:

Is heat sink necessary, if the LED is turned on for less than 8 seconds each time?

Or maybe one can simply thermo-glue the LED to a flat metal washer (granted, such heat sink is not optimal)?

I like its flat and small profile, which is what makes it attractive for supermacro and micro. Heatsinks will add some depth to the LED.

Does the LED's color change constantly? If that is the case, custom Kelvin temperature setting on camera may not work. Can one do software correction in post?

A friend of mine also mentioned:

I was unable to locate any specifications for it, except for the voltage (which may be inaccurate because smaller rings might have fewer LED chips than the larger ones).

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've been traveling so have not evaluated the 20mm yet other than verifying I could ream up to 8mm dia hole. They do have an integrated heatsink but it needs to attach to something, though for 8sec I don't think even in air would be a problem given the thermal capacity of the aluminum heatsink. Regarding voltage, I think the larger dia ones have multiple series/parallel sections, and the small ones are just one section, but not sure yet. For color temp the larger ones are stable so I think the small ones should be as well. I bought 20 of them so have extras if you want to try.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic