Mejiro Genossen Fl0530 4.0/110mm 0.5x-3x macro lens On eBay

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Mejiro Genossen Fl0530 4.0/110mm 0.5x-3x macro lens On eBay

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

There's retaining rings with whitening, where the anodisation is damaged. There's two rings, outer and inner.
Outer retaining ring likely holds the brass metal spacer in place, then inner ring holds the front optics.

Brass spacer has verdigris going on, so if the lens was opened for cleaning, why not clean that too with some citric acid solution?

My conclusion is the lens have been opened but probably not by Chendata himself.

The marks on the retaining rings aren't in the same direction, so perhaps whoever opened it used a slotted screwdriver jammed in and utilised both slots, ie loosening and tightening the spanner ring, or the damage occurred both ways with a proper spanner wrench (similar to a screwdriver, that has happened to me before).
Typically when using a spanner wrench with insufficient techniques, the damage is only present on one of the slots anyway, so it's not at all indicative. Quite the opposite actually.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

To me those are obvious signs that someone has tried to open the lenses. Whether he has succeeded or not is impossible to know . Some of those lenses have the retaining rings glued on, making them very hard or virtually impossible to open. But those marks are from spanner slips, no need to call CSI for investigation.

Some time ago I managed to get a MV-85 at a very reasonable price. It was optically perfect, but the β-adjusment ring was a tad harsh on some points. In a few days it ended up completely blocked and I returned it. I considered that a luck. While it worked, I did a few tests. As expected, coverage on FF was perfect in all the magnification range, correction was perfect as well. But resolution, while good, was not stellar. Contrast was kinda lacking too. I get better result with a lot cheaper combos. I can deal with some CA's and I get good enough coverage. Well, at least I tried it. Would not buy it again, that's for sure. And even less after SK Europe have ignored the few messages I sent them.

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

tied to find some technical details on the FL0530

the only two pages I could come up with were:
https://www.genossen.co.jp/top-96-product83
https://www.marubun.co.jp/product/syste ... 00jg61.pdf

the first list some tech specs and the second gives an overview over the different lenses.
they show different numbers for image circles though.

unfortunately I couldn't find MTF curves.
chris

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I got in contact with someone, apparently at some time a large factory was reallocated, and about 200 of these were put up in a bulk sale (cannot buy just one unit). The lot was purchased, likely by another factory. I'd say hold off from buying it, a load more could spawn at very low prices. This could also explain the several units I've seen, most of which were in terrific conditions.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Quick question: What does the "Genossen" mean in the company name? It means "comrade" in German (as in, member of a co-operative) but I can't find a Japanese meaning. Is it a locality? Otherwise that's a very odd choice of name for a Japanese company :D

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Sym P. le wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:54 pm
The "markings" astride the slots on both the inner and outer retaining rings oddly extend in the same direction on either side of the lens. This is counter to the suggestion that someone crudely opening the lens had the tool slip out of the slots. Even so, the site of such a presentation is halting.
Interesting, thanks for that, I see the 'markings' as an over application of thread sealant or glue. :-k

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Macrero wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:17 am
......Some time ago I managed to get a MV-85 at a very reasonable price. It was optically perfect, but ....Contrast was kinda lacking too. ......
- Macrero
Hi Macrero, I've found the same and noted that in my testing. There have been a few!

The MacroVaron needs shrouds or hoods added to perform best, some lenses do, others are sensitive.

The MacroVaron is a gem, but there has to be some weakness right? An optic can't be a super-lens! The MacroVaron is sharp, small, needs less extension than the competition and has a nice range.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:52 am
tied to find some technical details on the FL0530

the only two pages I could come up with were:
https://www.genossen.co.jp/top-96-product83
https://www.marubun.co.jp/product/syste ... 00jg61.pdf

the first list some tech specs and the second gives an overview over the different lenses.
they show different numbers for image circles though.

unfortunately I couldn't find MTF curves.
Hi Chris,

Good luck with that, I've been searching for info for the f/2.5 1-3x (and the FIO530) for at least 5 years!

Even emailed Mejiro at least 5 times, they responded but tell the lens isn't for consumers, etc etc. I've been meaning to stop by the Mejiro offices in Shinjuku and see what they say, even thinking of telling them I want to order 10 to get some response. :shock:

I'm normally in Japan once a year but Covid has kept me from visiting Japan for the first time in something like 10 years!

(Shinjuku is for someone that has not visited Japan, a special area or ward in Tokyo that has a camera town, a cluster of camera shops and the worlds busiest train station in the world, by far, nothing is even close, Shinjuk-eki, with 3-5 million daily riders (pre-covid) ! Visited there during rush hour once and my wife, from Moscow, had to leave, there were too many frantic people, she almost had some kind of panic attack from all the noise and crowds.)

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:21 am
Hi Macrero, I've found the same and noted that in my testing. There have been a few!

The MacroVaron needs shrouds or hoods added to perform best, some lenses do, others are sensitive.

The MacroVaron is a gem, but there has to be some weakness right? An optic can't be a super-lens! The MacroVaron is sharp, small, needs less extension than the competition and has a nice range.

Best,

Robert
Hi Robert,

I tried it with hood, I didn't see much improvement.

It is a quite unique and very versatile lens, that's for sure. f/4.5 gets quite conservative in the upper magnification range though.

The perfect lens does not exist, you are right. I am not looking for absolute perfection either. Idk, maybe I was expecting too much due the lot of hype, but I just didn't fall in love with the lens :(

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:39 am
[...] Otherwise that's a very odd choice of name for a Japanese company :D
Not necessarily. For example, extra assignments to college students are called "arubaito" in Japanese. That is a Japanized form of the German word "Arbeit".
--ES

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:21 am
Macrero wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:17 am
......Some time ago I managed to get a MV-85 at a very reasonable price. It was optically perfect, but ....Contrast was kinda lacking too. ......
- Macrero

The 85MV has a peculiar characteristic I suspect is a function of its large image circle and short-ish focal length: internal reflections are more of a problem than with most lenses. I discovered this when testing a 60WAC, which has even larger IC and shorter focal length, and the contrast in my system was fairly poor. Looking down from camera to lens, I saw reflections close to the lens that I had never seen before. After taming these, my whole system improved, and when I reinstalled the 85MV its contrast had improved substantially.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Good news!

Received two of the Mejiro Fl0530 today from Chendata.

_PM-Mejiro-FI0530.jpg

Absolutely Zero damage, all the retainer rings are untouched, neither lens has ever been disassembled. {-X

In fact these would rate as LN condition (like new) on eBay! Glass is flawless. Cosmetically A+ except for v-mount clamp marks. =D>

Looks like the "damage" was just thread cement as you can see in the photo about, sorry for the low quality mobile phone pic.

Will post a full report of the lens later in a new thread.

Best,

Robert

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

congrats!
glad to hear and looking forward to the results.
I bought quite a few lenses from chendata and they were always in excellent shape and well packaged.
chris

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Glad to hear they are ok. I apologize for raising a red flag.
Lou

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:50 pm
Glad to hear they are ok. I apologize for raising a red flag.
Lou
Better to err on the side of safety than the opposite. Usually I pass on a lens with retainer ring marks as a matter of habit since there are people like the Youtube star that tears down a Mitutoyo M Plan 20x to "clean" and puts it all back together and "tests" it to make sure its okay. Don't worry, he was careful to line all the elements back up. Really I shouldn't joke, don't disassemble a precision optic like a Mitutoyo M Plan. They are not serviceable. Opening the lens up is a guaranteed way to ruin the performance. Better yet don't disassemble any optic unless you know what you are doing.

Best,

Robert

Edit: Removed the image of the Youtube photographer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic