Rodenstock APO-Rodagon-N 150mm f/4 EL Lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Rodenstock APO-Rodagon-N 150mm f/4 EL Lens

Post by RobertOToole »

_PM-Rodenstock-APO-Rodagon-N-150mm-f-4-lens-with-50mm-for-scale-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the APO-Rodagon-N 150mm f/4 lens (Rodagon 50 for scale).

Until I picked up this up at a local antique/close-out/dead-stock dealer, I had never seen one.

This is a fixed aperture version of this lens with an f/3.9 measured aperture disk.What kind of application would use wide aperture like this? The disk takes only seconds to change.

This lens is multicoated enlarging lens, not a process lens, and it has a huge image circle. 80mm front threads and rear M72.

This lens was in a box with a few other not-so-often seen lenses like a Rodagon-G 5.6/240 that I also picked up for a can't pass on it price. I decided to pick up the rest of the lenses in the box also and I'll post an update on that later!

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Re: Rodenstock APO-Rodagon-N 150mm f/4 EL Lens

Post by RobertOToole »

_PM-Standing-Rodenstock-APO-Rodagon-N-150mm-f-4-lens-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg

Looks like this is a industrial printer version of the lens, the fixed aperture gives it away. The mounting and accessory threads are different than the normal EL version of this lens. M72 vs M50 mount for one. Looks like Raf will get an order in a couple of days, anyone want to share express shipping on an order going to LA? :D

Best,

Robert

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Congratulations on your find! I just copied a couple of pages from a Rodenstock catalog that you may find useful (although there is the strong possibility that you already have this information :) )
ApRod2.jpg
ApRod1.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Don't think I have that info, thanks! Cutaway is nice to see!

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Hmm, I have a 150mm f/3.3 lens, only label is Linos Lens 338, bought from a forum member. I can find no info about it. It is shaped differently from yours, narrower at one end. Anyone know what "lens 338" is?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:46 am
Hmm, I have a 150mm f/3.3 lens, only label is Linos Lens 338, bought from a forum member. I can find no info about it. It is shaped differently from yours, narrower at one end. Anyone know what "lens 338" is?
If you ever find out let us know, I've seen those for sale and but can't find any info on them! Qioptiq said OEM.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, I just now found some information about this lenson a Chinese auction website. It only says that this lens is used for digital printing.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:26 pm
Robert, I just now found some information about this lenson a Chinese auction website. It only says that this lens is used for digital printing.
Thanks Lou.

On a largeFormat forum someone posted an email from Qioptiq with similar info. So it is an enlarging lens and not a process lens.

Best,

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks Robert. Were there any hints about the optimum magnification? This must be an amazing enlarging lens if it is designed to be used at such a wide aperture!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:03 am
Thanks Robert. Were there any hints about the optimum magnification? This must be an amazing enlarging lens if it is designed to be used at such a wide aperture!
According to the Rodenstock info, 6x with a 2x to 12x enlargement range.

That is really 1/6x and 1/2 - 1/12x reduction range when used as a taking/macro lens unless you reverse it for magnification? I never know what the specs mean with enlarging lenses. :-k

We'll find out soon, I plan to test it this week. The mount is M72 x 1 but a M72 x 0.75 will thread on about 3 turns, good enough for a quick test. Supposedly this is a great lens for tilt and shift due thanks to the big IC.

Best,

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's great news Robert. Long bellows though!!! Images are very clean-looking.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:41 am
That's great news Robert. Long bellows though!!! Images are very clean-looking.
Yes.....correct, I forgot, thats not internal focus is it? :shock:

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I just now tried it out. Even at 2x it is stretching my ability to provide enough extension. The good news is that it is superbly sharp and clean, and the image circle looks like it could cover 4x5 even just at 2x. It could probably make a wall-sized print at 6x.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:23 am
I just now tried it out. Even at 2x it is stretching my ability to provide enough extension. The good news is that it is superbly sharp and clean, and the image circle looks like it could cover 4x5 even just at 2x. It could probably make a wall-sized print at 6x.
Did your lens come with a PN on the box so I can ask Qioptiq. Those Linos lenses are really interesting!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

There was no box, but it is Lens 338, and there is a serial number, 11905458. Thanks! It would be interesting to know the correct orientation, though that is easy enough to test.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic