Cleanliness of Zeiss 1.5H cover slips

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

viktor j nilsson

Cleanliness of Zeiss 1.5H cover slips

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Inspired by the recent thread on glass slide cleanliness I was interested to hear about people's experiences with Zeiss 1.5H high precision cover slips. I stumbled upon a great deal for a large amount of these, and picked up all that the seller had. They all came came in original zip lock bags.

I've only tried a handful yet, but I was a little surprised that they were quite dusty. Thickness has been spot on with the ones I've measured, but they are much less clean than I had expected from such premium cover slips. They do seem to clean up well with dish washing detergent, however.

Is this consistent with other people's experiences?
Last edited by viktor j nilsson on Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zed

Re: Cleanliness of Zeiss 1.5H cover slips

Post by zed »

Hi Viktor,

This is true of all coverslip/slide vendors - even Zeiss. The grease residue from the glass cutters attract all kinds of dust that is impossible to remove prior to packaging.

We typically acid wash (1M HCl) with agitation followed by an ethanol rinse to properly prepare our glass for mounting - but even a simple alcohol wash will go a long way.

-Jason

viktor j nilsson

Re: Cleanliness of Zeiss 1.5H cover slips

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Many thanks, Jason! Glad to hear that it's normal with some dirt.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic