Reichert METAPLAN microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Roundel

Reichert METAPLAN microscope

Post by Roundel »

So I have found this for sale in a local classified section for $550 https://imgur.com/a/Gu81LuM and I think I am getting a steal basically and am wondering if this looks like a good idea to get to have a one stop shop for getting into microscope photography at a relatively high level. I already do focus stacking with my camera with a rail and a 20x objective and produce good results.
Attachments
Reichert 1.jpg
Reichert 2.jpg

viktor j nilsson

Re: Reichert METAPLAN microscope

Post by viktor j nilsson »

That to me looks like a metaplan set up for Epi DIC. It has no cover glass EPI objectives, and I believe that the thing on the nosepiece is the DIC prism holder.
I don't think that it even has transmitted light capabilities.

Looks like a very cool microscope, and the plan fluor objectives are likely excellent. To the right buyer it would be worth a bit. But not too much, epi DIC is a lot less desirable than transmitted DIC.

But if you want to do microscope photography of pond life, you should be looking for a transmitted light microscope, not an epi-dic unit.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Working distance is going to be pretty tight, and you likely would not be able to look at somewhat thicker samples with it. But for 550 it should be a steal, yeah.

Roundel

Post by Roundel »

I figure that I could buy it and if I don’t like it I can at least get what I paid for it either selling it as a unit or parting out the objectives. I would like to have the option of shooting opaque things from top down with more ease than using a rail suspended vertically. My current setup is horizontal for a reason, and that reason is that it is much, much easier to shoot the things I usually shoot in that orientation.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Yeah, for $550 that's a steal. Try $500 with the seller :P
You get a handful of fluors, the NA and magnification tells me it's similar to mitutoyo ones with regards to working distance, besides that 100x which might have a WD of 2mm. With the right DIY, you should be able to turn the frame into a transmitted light microscope. Working distance will likely suffer, meaning you probably won't be able to get 4x objectives configured for kohler illumination.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic