Canon 250D close up lens as a tube lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

kpassaur

Canon 250D close up lens as a tube lens

Post by kpassaur »

I just purchased a Nikon Plan 10x CFI. 0.25na and now it is how to mount it. I saw a person that mounted it to a 55-200mm lens and they said it worked good. So, I went out and ordered the adapter and the lens. The lens goes for like $40 delivered so why not give it a go. The adapter is shipping from China so who knows when it will arrive.

Anyway, I found in pile of step up rings adapters etc a 58 - 25mm adapter. I have no clue as to where it came from and I also have a 58mm Canon 250D I was wondering if anyone has used these on the end of a bellows and if it would even work. I have read various articles of people using Raynox 150's this is really the same (well it does the same thing). If it does or should work, should it be reversed?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

See Robert O'Toole's extensive tube lens tests....
https://www.closeuphotography.com/tube-lens-test
Short answer: Canon 250D is a bad choice.

Len Willan

Another choice?

Post by Len Willan »

It would be interesting to see opinions on this closeup lens used with infinites like the Nikon 10X MRL 00102 ,
This was posted by Miljenko
Comparing macro lenses using MTF - Part VII - Tube lenses
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 00&start=0
“Definitely a great positive surprise came from Kenko AC No.5 close-up „filter“, an attachment similar to Raynox add-ons. There are No. 1, 3 and 5 varieties with corresponding 1000, 330 and 200 mm focal lengths along with different diameters. I was using 55mm thread diameter version. This lens performs better than Raynox DCR-150 in all parameters while having the lowest CA of all the tube lenses tested. And it can be bought on Ebay for 1/3 Raynox price. Kenko as well performs better when reversed but the funny part is performance when used as tele-lens when reversed performance is terrible!”

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Another choice?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Len Willan wrote:It would be interesting to see opinions on this closeup lens used with infinites like the Nikon 10X MRL 00102
What does "like" mean?

Robert's tests were done using a Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 5X, which is "just like" a Nikon 10X MRL00102 except for having much better color correction and a different manufacturer, magnification, NA, etc.

I think it's an unanswered question whether the relative rankings of these tube lenses vary in any systematic way depending on which objective they're used with. Certainly being matched by manufacturer is no guarantee, given that Robert found that the Mitutoyo tube lens was bested by many others, including Raynox DCR-150 and Thorlabs ITL200.

--Rik

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I did pick up that Kenko lens on Miljenko's recommendation, and will try it with more objectives.

Rik wrote:
Certainly being matched by manufacturer is no guarantee
I just made a quick informal comparison of the Olympus 180mm tube lens (built into their vertical illuminator) and the Thorlabs ITL200 used as Robert directed (245mm space between lens and sensor). The Thorlabs was better, as far as I could see in some random single images.

Edit--Forgot the main point- I used an Oly 20x 0.45 as the objective, we might have expected the Oly tube lens to work best with the Oly objective, but apparently not.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I just tried the reversed Kenko with the 20x Oly; looked nice in random single shots.

Len Willan

Post by Len Willan »

Thank you Rik and Lou for your explanations.
There seems to be advantages in weight and the easy use of Achromatic close up lenses that can be used on any assembly as this was shown by Robert O'Toole in his extensive tube lens tests, and his use of the Sigma LSA, so the quest is to find other available alternatives.
Going to infinite objectives reminds one of the Halcyon Morfanon Days
Sony NEX-7, Nikon PB-6 bellows, Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 5X, morfanon tube lens.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallmen/26210405603/

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Len Willan wrote:reminds one of the Halcyon Morfanon Days
Yes, exactly!

What John realized early on was that the Mitutoyo objectives would nicely cover a full-frame sensor, if only you could find a suitable tube lens to go with them. His find of the 172mm Surplus Shed "morfanon" (named by dmillard, HERE) was very similar to the Kenko No.5 (200mm), but unfortunately it was not routinely available in the long term.

From my standpoint, the big improvement in "modern times" is that the community has now identified quite a few suitable lenses that are new manufacture, commonly available, and easily interfaced.

--Rik

kpassaur

Thanks all - found it in Robert's execellent article.

Post by kpassaur »

I found what I was looking for in Robert's excellent article. The Canon close up lens is a poor choice for a tube lens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic