50X Nikon CFI60 TU Plan Epi ELWD

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Artiii

50X Nikon CFI60 TU Plan Epi ELWD

Post by Artiii »

Hi, I want a really good 50x lens, I will buy as new. Is there anyone who use or test this lens?

http://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy/ ... ves/58518/

Other option used Nikon CF Plan 50X 0.55 inf/- EPI ELWD WD 8.4 , new model is it worth the prize?

I have DX and FX bodies and stackshoot, I want to use this lens also at 25x with 100mm tube lens. If we compare mitutoyo 20x na .42 lens with this lens at 25x which one is give me a better result at 20 - 25x? And is Stackshoot usable at 50x?

Sorry for poor english, thanks.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

The definitive answer can really only be obtained with an actual "hands-on" side-by-side comparison. Looking only at the specs we can consider some possibilities.

It has a NA of 0.60 (50/0.60) and an 11mm working distance. Used at 50X the NA difference from the "Nikon CF Plan 50X 0.55 inf/- EPI ELWD" you mentioned should barely be noticeable in terms of increased resolution (but potentiality it could be about 10% higher.) You do gain 2.5mm of working distance.

Used with a shorter focal length tube lens to get into the 20-25X range, and comparing to a 20/0.42 NA objective the potential increase in resolution is much greater (~42%). I suspect you would readily see the difference if the image were to be reproduced or viewed larger than the typically small "web-size" image. But... there is no way to know how well it will "cover" a sensor format with a quality image out to the corners and edges. (My guess... and purely a guess!... is that you would be OK on an APS-C sized sensor, but probably not on a full frame (24x36mm).

There is also no assurance that if it were used at the intended 50X it would be adequate in the corners with a full-frame camera. It simply must be tried and the results examined. Also, the "specifications" really can't give a good idea of the level of color correction/contrast.

Artiii

Post by Artiii »

Thank you very much for the information Charles. 3 days ago I talk with Nikon distributor and they made a very good discount for me but it is still very expensive. I think I should stick with the old model "Nikon CF Plan 50X 0.55 inf/- EPI ELWD" or maybe "Olympus ULWD MS Plan 50x". I don't want to gamble with 2000$ :)) I will try ebay.

Other lenses, which one is better? Olympus or Nikon? I know you are using Olympus.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Arthur,
"Olympus ULWD MS Plan 50x"
Keep in mind that the initial M-type "infinity" Olympus objectives, like the MS Plans, were intended to be used with chromatically corrective eyepieces. If you already have one try it, I've seen some nice images made with them without this correction. But if you are looking from "scratch", it would be best to look at Nikon, Mitutoyo, or the more recent Olympus UIS and UIS-2 versions. These will not need chromatic correction via an eyepiece or in the tube lens. (Zeiss and Leica infinity objectives do some of this correction in the tube lens.)

Nikon or Olympus are both excellent. Much will depend on the "deal" you find and the specifications that you need.

Artiii

Post by Artiii »

Thank you Charles, this information is very helpful. I don't have corrective eyepice and I don't know how to use it with a dslr. I will look at Nikon and Mitutoyo :)

Many thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic