lens hoods for mitutoyo objectives?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

There's another design element one could add to these shades-- their outer surface could also be functional. The shades are probably shading the subjects a bit by blocking some of the illumination. If the shades had white outer surfaces that were shaped to reflect incident light down onto the center of the subject, they would improve the quality of the illumination. Maybe a shallow section of a hemisphere, with a hole in the middle?

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

while trying to use Raynox DCR-150 as tube lens (reversed), I discovered that a particular 62-58 step down ring has a through 58 thread, so it can be used as 58 female to female adapter, but the 62 male thread can also be used to mount something, maybe after some more step down rings, we can get it down to 42 and you can print the hood with 42 female thread to screw it on.

see the front is actually a 62 thread after converting the unused 62 male thread to 67 then a lens hood with 67 front thread screwed on backwards

Luisifer

Re: lens hoods for mitutoyo objectives?

Post by Luisifer »

I am going to prepare small lens hood for Mitty (primarily for shading of shiny front metal surface).
Would be there any interest in to that model too?

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Just be careful it does not interfere with the black front part of the lens; i used to hold yogurt diffusers there, one was too tight and when removing it the front element rotated a few degrees. The lens became useless; I would bet most low performance mitutoyos is because of simple things like this.

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

seta666 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Just be careful it does not interfere with the black front part of the lens; i used to hold yogurt diffusers there, one was too tight and when removing it the front element rotated a few degrees. The lens became useless; I would bet most low performance mitutoyos is because of simple things like this.
Thanks for tip. I changed inner diameter from 29.2 mm to 29.4 mm. But i expect that i have to try measure the inner size on my own because "numbers in table are different for my 20x and 7.5x but when i have it in my hands it looks the same.
First i will try lens hood on 20x because it has front element not going out from the lens body ( https://12in.cz/fotografie/obr/110__60_ ... ed-Long-WD )....

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

seta666 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:59 pm
=D>

Good point.

Best,

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

My solution?

Flocking paper snoot.

Extremely simple.

I roll up a tube of flocking paper and slip it around the objective, use a small square of tape to put pressure to hold it in place, adjust position for the WD and done.

Works to cut glare 100%, guaranteed, takes 3.75 seconds to install, and has never failed once in something like 4 years. And its custom fit for each and every setup! Works on every lens, Rayfact, Rodenstock, line-scan, enlarger, or Mitutoyo objective.

Hard to beat.

Best,

Robert

physicsmajor

Post by physicsmajor »

For those of us with 3D printers, if any of these files were to become available it would certainly save some time - I've been planning to get around to modeling and printing hoods for Mitys as well as the 5400 Minolta and Nikon Scanner-ED lenses.

I was intending to place three M3 threaded inserts to allow alignment and attachment via light screw tension without need to torque the lens at all.

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

physicsmajor wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 am
For those of us with 3D printers, if any of these files were to become available it would certainly save some time
Ok, i am just printing second version with far more smaller inner diameter (with 25mm, because of 29,2 mm from table on EO web is totally off topic) and with bigger inner diameter moving over lens front metal part because previous version was not possible to put on the lens.

Now i am using silver PLA for tests. Later i would like to use black ABS for final version and if it will be ok i will upload it on the web.
printing.jpg

Third version looks good. Fits easy without bigger resistance. Next step will be ABS print (but i have to prepare new nozzle for that).

Luisifer

Post by Luisifer »

Tested just mechanical fitting. I didn't try to photograph with it yet:

https://12in.cz/pismo/id/18_Clonka-pro- ... y-Mitutoyo

For printing i used XT-CF20 at the end. It is more matted than others which i have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic