Tethering Sony cameras

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Tethering Sony cameras

Post by ray_parkhurst »

An associate is telling me that his Sony A6000 has full-function tethering capability via Lightroom. I was not aware of this capability with any Sony cameras. Can someone confirm this?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Check with your associate about exactly what he means by "full-function".

According to http://www.slashgear.com/sony-a6000-review-19341452/ (Aug 19, 2014),
However, while the A6000 supports tethered shooting to a USB connected computer, you don't get live-view during it.
--Rik

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

rjlittlefield wrote:Check with your associate about exactly what he means by "full-function".

According to http://www.slashgear.com/sony-a6000-review-19341452/ (Aug 19, 2014),
However, while the A6000 supports tethered shooting to a USB connected computer, you don't get live-view during it.
--Rik
Thanks Rik. I figured there must be something amiss. I had not heard that Sony provided a useable tethering function yet, but was hopeful. I will reconfirm with my associate.

Ray

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I went back with the info and my guy swears that tethering includes Live View. I also read a review on DPreview and it says the A6000 has EFSC. If these things are true it may be a good camera for PM use. He's going to send me some screen shots showing the Live View operation while tethered.

Koorosh

Post by Koorosh »

Any further developments on this? Exactly the question I've been looking to answer :)

seta666

Post by seta666 »

rjlittlefield wrote:
--Rik
Well, maybe you do not get liveview on the computer but could be possible to get liveview to an external HDMI monotor via the on-camera mini HDMI output?

My NEX-5n does not support computer tethering but can output liveview image via HDMI. Not as useful as full tethering but can help if working with a scope or a vertical set up

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Koorosh wrote:Any further developments on this? Exactly the question I've been looking to answer :)
He came back with the feedback that the A6000 tethers over Wifi. It was not clear if the Live View is updated but he implied it was, then never came back with the screen shots he promised...

GemBro

Post by GemBro »

Doesn't look like it can do live view Live ... the Sony A7's can though ... looks like you might be able to over a tablet connection ...

But does this help?:
http://rccdroidpro-en.glensk.com/

This guy might explain it a bit more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvrWJJjbjGc
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Stepper Motor Focusing System (Helicon Remote)

Koorosh

Post by Koorosh »

Is it odd to expect this kind of mechanism as a standard for new cameras? I would love to be able to use a laptop screen as a viewing device. I've read a few links that seem to vaguely suggest that it may be possible, but then contrasting information saying it is not possible at the moment?

Are Sony regularly updating software or does anybody know of them looking into such ventures?

Don't think the a6000/ a5100 not having live view while shooting would be a complete deal breaker, but it would sweeten the purchase big time :)

Koorosh

Post by Koorosh »

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Hello. Thread is getting old, but still give's no answers.
A6000, its absolutely amazing, almost perfect camera. Beat canon 70D in every way. Almost.

Everything is fabulous, just not tethering. What you can do:
- tether via PC with full control and RAW/JPEG but no Live View. Capture one give pretty rapid stills, but no Live view.
- FULL tethering via android app. Live View and full control! But when tethered to android it shoot no RAW... just Jpeg.
- Im not sure how it work with tv. My stupid "smart" tv have troubles with wi-fi connectivity. Not sure how it work via HDMI. Only images review via USB.
Last edited by JohnyM on Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

JohnyM wrote:Hello. Thread is getting old, but still give's no answers.
A6000, its absolutely amazing, almost perfect camera. Beat canon 70D in every way. Almost.

Everything is fabulous, just not tethering. What you can do:
- tether via PC with full control and RAW/JPEG but no Live View. Capture one give pretty rapid stills, but no Live view.
- FULL tethering via android app (PC can use emulator). Live View and full control! But when tethered to android it shoot no RAW... just Jpeg.
- Im not sure how it work with tv. My stupid "smart" tv have troubles with wi-fi connectivity. Not sure how it work via HDMI. Only images review via USB.
Good summary of the situation. Looks like Sony still has some development work ahead of them.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Update!
A6000 can shoot Raw via Android tethering!
It need to be set in camera, not android device. Fabulous!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

JohnyM wrote:A6000 can shoot Raw via Android tethering!
Thank you for the update.

Exactly which Android app are you using?

--Rik

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Standard "Sony Play Memories Mobile".

A6000 Pros is multiple great features not available in other cameras.
Cons is that most of them are hidden very deep in those stupid menus ( i changed system from Canon, where everything was very clear and organized). Some settings need to be done via android device, and some via camera itself, after making connection. Fortunately they need to be done only once. After that all important features can be controlled via android. You can even control zoom with power zoom lenses :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic