Advice on vertical setup highly appreciated

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

Advice on vertical setup highly appreciated

Post by nielsgeode »

I'd like to have a vertical setup with the stackshot next to my current horizantal setup.

I have a *heavy* and very stable microscope stand collecting dust, so I thought it's a good idea to use it:

What is the best way to mount the stackshot onto the pole of this stand? The diameter is 32mm exactly.

elf

Post by elf »

You may get more suggestions if you tell us what kind of tools you have or if you need to buy everything and bolt it together.

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

I have "access" to a workplace with advanced machining equipment, although I am not allowed to operate the machines myself and I have to pay (quite some money) if they custom make metal parts for my setup.

So having items custom made is certainly an option, if there is a cheaper solution that is commercially available (e.g. on Ebay) I think I would prefer that as long as it is as stable as a custom adapter.

What other designs for a vertical setup with a stackshot are used among forum members?

elf

Post by elf »

You could start with a set of clamping u-bolts like these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#3066t33/=wjh3b2

It would require fabricating an adaptor plate between the stackshot and the u-bolt clamp. This could be a piece of plywood or aluminum.

p.s. McMaster-Carr won't ship to individuals in Europe, so you would need to find a local supplier.

elf

Post by elf »

Something like this:Image

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

If you do a Google search on "32mm Clamp", many options come up which might be nicer than U bolts.
This sort of thig for example.
https://www.cctlighting.com/product/127 ... ished.html

A pair of those wouldn't break the bank.

It seems that 32mm is used in many applications as a standard.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

NikonUser wrote:A Manfrotto Clamp may work

http://www.manfrotto.com/universal-supe ... het-handle
That is absolutely brilliant! :D
I have one of these collecting dust and I ordered a second one. I will make a aluminium baseplate to which I will attach the stackshot. I can then simply screw the whole thing to the two clamps (one on both ends of the alu plate).

Thanx! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic