How do I make my own polarization filters... and should I?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TortoiseAvenger

How do I make my own polarization filters... and should I?

Post by TortoiseAvenger »

Hello all:

I have heard that to take polarized pictures, one doesn't need a polarizing microscope, but that you can make your own filters to use.

What material is best to use, and how do you install it?

Also, what differences will I notice if I go the do-it-yourself route vs. purchasing a formal polarizing scope? Am I somehow limited?

Thanks,

TA

Ian Parkin

Post by Ian Parkin »

You just need some polarising filters off a camera or polarising film
Only small sizes needed 1" diameter will be fine
If buying camera filters try and get linear ones rather than circular ones

If you need some film let me know and i'll send you some

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi; What microscope do you have? If you have a picture, please post it.

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

You will need two pieces of polarizing film.

One piece (called the analyzer) should be place between the objectives and the head. If the head of your microscope comes off of your scope, you can cut a circular piece and place it in the bottom of the head.

The second piece (called the polarizer) can be placed on the base, covering the light port. This one you can rotate so you can get crossed polars.

There are various scientific places to buy film like Edmunds and Brunel. I buy my polarized film from an ebay seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/laplansk2013/m. ... 7675.l2562
He has a wide variety of grades. With the high light and heat of microscopes, I get the high temperature grade for repairing burned out polarizer/analyzers on scopes I repair.

For even greater color, you may also want to get wave plates. The primary ones are the full wave lambda plate, also known as ROT 1 and the 1/4 wave plate.

TortoiseAvenger

Post by TortoiseAvenger »

I don't have a scope yet... considering my options :)

Thanks everyone for the help... very informative.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic