Leitz vs Nikon objective, cone vs flat adapter, Nikon 1 ?s

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ckatosmith

Leitz vs Nikon objective, cone vs flat adapter, Nikon 1 ?s

Post by ckatosmith »

I'm excited to try and branch out/experiment with equipment I already mostly own to obtain better photos. Any comments appreciated.

Basic system: Nikon D800E + Nikon's excellent (no longer available new) Micro Nikkor Zoom 70-180mm lens (beat's the pants off my old version 70-200 VR lens for sharpness, all I have to compare to) as a tube lens, + microscope objective. I have reordered the M25 adapter from jinfinance/eBay (misplaced my other one).

Re objectives. I now want to try out two Leitz objectives I have on an old Leitz Ortholux. I didn't find the thread size (googled), but

IS IT RMS?

I eyeballed the objective threads against a plastic ruler... ~ 20mm

I have A) Leitz Wetzler Plano 2.5/0.07 C 22423 made for a 170mm focal length, so think it would work with my 70-180mm zoom lens.

B) Leitz Wetzler Plano 4/0.10 C 14588 also 170mm focal length...

Before I lost the M25 adapter, I had tried with excitement the Nikon 4X objective (700 stack using StackShot).

I am a noob, so would like any opinions on which 4X (that I own) is the better quality... the Leitz 4X I own or

Nikon E Plan 4X/0.10 MRP70040 that I own?

If the Leitz objectives are RMS, then I will order adapters from jinfinance/eBay. If they are not RMS, is there an adapter I can use?

(to connect to a 52mm lens, will also use step rings to the 67mm filter size 70-180 Nikkor)

Regarding RMS filter adapter, should I get both the cone and flat adapter since I have other Nikon lenses to experiment with? Best one for the 70-180mm lens?

Re Nikon 1V1 Has Anyone used it with stacking with a Microscope objective/bellows/or reversed lens setup (I have some Nikon 1 lenses as well as FX and DX lenses?

I already had the camera, which I bought a few years ago to use with regular Nikon lens via the WT-1 adapter... super magnification :). I believe I can get better IQ from Nikon 1V1 (I tried it by taping a slide to a lightbox) with StackShot) versus
Celestron's 2MP digital imager which I just place in Celestron's Stereo-microscope (Model 44206) eyepiece tube. I was unhappy with the horizontal brown bands I see when an imager is placed in the eyepiece tube (happened with the Nikon 1V1 using C-mount adapter also). Trying to work that out (tried make shift LED lighting (for microscope slide) versus their horseshoe shaped fluorescent tube, better but...

But got to thinking Nikon 1 V1 could be advantageous since it is mirrorless and has an electronic shutter option, thus reduced vibrations with stacking photos.
Also thinking (crudely, I'm not an engineer or optics person) the CX sensor (2.7x) could be interesting to try out.

For the V1, I'm on the verge of ordering an Eye-fi card Pro X2 so I can see the images on my computer without removing the SD card from the camera, plus Nikon 1V1 has no tethering options and is not supported by CamRanger. Eye-fi will make it easier to pick the Start/End positions on the StackShot. I can trigger the shot via an IR device and use StackShot in Manual Mode (there may be other ways to use StackShot I have not investigated yet with the V1 camera)

edited to add Left field question: I would like to photograph corn pollen on a corn silk (can bring indoors for studio setup). How long will the pollen last, thinking I may not receive my microscope objective adapters from China before pollination season is over. I have never shot pollen before, so not sure how it deteriorates or can be kept (I know the silk will turn quickly!).

I realize this is a 'scatterbrained' disjointed post, but I will appreciate any responses to any part of it. In a nutshell, I am trying to use equipment I already own to make better photos, both of microscope slides and of no-slide objects. So much knowledge and helpful folks here, thanks.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm not intimate with those Leitz objectives, but as best I recall they have RMS threads, are intended to be used on an empty tube with no other glass, and had a significant amount of chromatic aberration built into them intended to be used with compensating eyepieces. If that's correct then they won't work very well when stuck on the end of your 180 mm telephoto.

I expect that your Nikon MRP70040 will be significantly better than the Leitz, but since you own them, the best thing to do is test. At the very least it's good exercise, and you'll have the satisfaction of seeing with your own eyes instead of trusting somebody else's expectation.

When sticking objectives in front of a zoom lens, especially on your full frame sensor, you should plan on using a flat adapter. Pushing the objective away from the rear lens by using a cone adapter just invites vignetting, for no gain.

About the V1, sorry, I know nothing.

--Rik

ckatosmith

Post by ckatosmith »

Thank you Rik,

I will order a flat RMS adapter to try out first, since I am curious about using the Leitz 2.5x objective (I don't have a Nikon equivalent) and I have some plain 'empty' extention tubes.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Rik is 100% right:
Leitz objetives, good as they are, were computed to work with corrective Leitz Periplan eyepieces in a microscope. I have the Leitz Pl 2.5 /0.08* objective and when used without the compensating eyepiece it produces strong lateral CA. If you shot RAW you can deal with up to some extent during raw conversion. And yes, they are RMS.
* The objective you have could be an even older version. Some very old low power objectives were computed to use without compensating eyepieces, I don't know if this could be the case.
Pau

ckatosmith

Post by ckatosmith »

Thank you, Pau, for your reply. I await an ordered RMS adapter to try out the Leitz Pl 2.5 objective. I will attempt to compare using it on a lens and with just tubes or bellows.

Other update: The Eye-Fi card and remote IR trigger for my Nikon 1 V1 has given new life to a camera that was often sitting unused, but I couldn't bear to part with. I can now take shots without removing the memory card or touching the V1 after it has been set up on the StackShot mount.

I have also ordered an AC adapter so I don't have to worry about the battery running out. And since the V1 is mirrorless and has an electronic shutter option, I don't have to worry about vibrations from those aspects and thus look forward to possible less vibration effects in photos and reducing the time it takes to do a StackShot (reduced Toff time, etc vs added time for using MLU (2 shots per frame) or Shutter Delay mode for the D800E). This also reduces the risk of infectious NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) in thinking I 'must' upgrade to the D810 for it's EFCS :)

So I think the V1, for me, will have a place alongside the D800E for stacks.
And I now know/agree that the 2.7x CX sensor is a CROP (thanks, Rik), though it may still be useful for shooting depending on lens pairing, desired FOV, etc.

I like the efficiency of the additional accessories I have bought. The IR trigger also works with my D7000 and the AC adapter will work with my D800E/D7000/1 V1 because they all use the same battery.

Re the Eye-Fi, it was worth it to me even if only for making the Nikon 1 V1 workflow less painful for stacks. Although it is SD card size, I probably wouldn't use it in any camera that can use the CamRanger because the Eye-Fi WiFi card is s-l-o-w (Edited: I tweaked the card settings and it now takes about 10 seconds for a V1 Jpeg Fine to appear in a folder on my laptop, much better), but at least I can view the start/end position of a stack on a laptop screen without touching the camera setup...

Carolina

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic