Help me choose a compact! G16, LX7 + RX100.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tuk

Help me choose a compact! G16, LX7 + RX100.

Post by tuk »

Hey!

I'm looking to buy a good all round compact which is also suitable for macro work(complete newbie).

The Sony models look nice but not many can focus 1 cm, I'm considering the Canon PowerShot G16( £427 ) or Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7( £230 ).

The Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100( £389 ) can only focus 5 cm...I don't know how much difference this makes to macro but I will add to the list as it seems to be a nice camera.

As you can see the Canon & Sony are nearly twice the price & I'm wondering if the difference is worth the extra chunk of cash?

I'm also considering the Raynox DCR-250 as an accessory to whatever I buy...then later to introduce an old slr prime lens.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of all 3 cameras including spec and test results.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/ ... 03_817_812

canonian

Post by canonian »

I'm not familiar with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7.
I have taken some sample pictures with the Sony RX100 II this afternoon and just posted them for the purpose of your question right here.
Earlier I posted shots taken with the Canon Powershot G12 here and here.
The last one was in combination with a FA-DC58B Filter Adapter to mount the Raynox DCR-250.

The large sensor in the Sony RX100 II helps making wonderful pictures, but I haven't sold my G12/Raynox combo yet.
Macro's made with the G-series are incredible for a compact camera.

Within the price range you're looking at it's a small step towards a small mirrorless camera coupled with a manual macro lens and is of course also an option.
Remember that the IQ of a compact camera will never be as good as a camera with a larger APS sensor and a dedicated macrolens.

Hope this helps.

tuk

Post by tuk »

Thanks Canonian that's very kind of you!

The G12 pics look amazing. The RX100 II is also no slouch by the looks, I wonder how the RX100II/Raynox would be.

Is there a noticeable difference in min focus between these 2 cameras? 1cm(G12) vs 5cm(RX100II)

Maybe next year I will buy a D800E & set of Karl Zeiss primes, but in the meantime I want to play with a decent manual compact, after upgrading to full frame the compact can be used as a light weight 2nd &/or other projects, the only camera I currently own is a $10 webcam which is beyond awful.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic