Canon MT-24 Twin Light Issues

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Clintonwake

Canon MT-24 Twin Light Issues

Post by Clintonwake »

Hi All

I used the canon twin light for stacking but after 10-20 shots. The flash takes ages to recharge. Is there a way around this.

I am using the auto stackshot, so if there are 80 in the stack, I get black shots as the flash is not recharging quick enough

cheers
Denis

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Maybe it goes overheated and automatically rests to avoid damage, a funtion bundled in many modern units. Check the instructions manual.

The only way would be to fire it at reduced power or to allow some time between shots.
Pau

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Thanks Pau, I will try that.

cheers
Denis

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

tired of the same problem, I´m using now two flash bulbs. OK, I not have a button for control the ouputs, but I modify the distance between the flash and sample, or I use papers, grey photographic filters... and I have forgotten any problem about replacement of batteries.

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Thanks

But I do not understand what you mean

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Click on the "flash bulbs" link and I think you'll get the idea. Basically the idea is use a mains powered studio flash instead of a battery powered unit.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Clintonwake

cheers

Post by Clintonwake »

thanks Dave

johan

Post by johan »

Is Canon twin light *TTL with a preflash? If so, try using manual? No initial preflash (so half the flashing) and usually you can get a lot of flashes out if you're set at say 1/32
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Thanks Johan

I do use Manual, 1/2 to 1/16 but still issue. I am sure its a heating issue and limitation and may have to use strobes

cheers
Denis

Greenfields

Post by Greenfields »

You don't say what magnification you are using. At 160 ISO I can go up to 10x with a white plastic diffusing collar and still only use the flash heads at 1/8 power which will give 300 or more flashes from the unit. The heads are a few com from the diffuser and this is rarely a problem [though occasionally the heat or dehydration makes a subject move] Do you have the flash heads a long way from your subjects of at a very acute angle ?

Another option is to use an external battery pack. According to B&H the MT-24EX is compatible with Compact Battery Pack CP-E2 & Transistor Pack E.

There are also a large number of less expensive aftermarket alternatives [but I have not found a mains powered alternative, though]

However - and a warning: The instructions with the aftermarket power pack warn that the flash should be given time to cool after continuously flashing at high power after a relatively short run of flashes.

They mean it. I found the front lens of one of my units had cracked after a long run - and I'd never taken the power over 1/4 full power. Still seems to work OK but I am much more careful.

In case it fails I use a couple of much less expensive Yongnuo clones of Canon Speedlites for bench work, one with a cable [remember, you probably don't want to use the automatic exposure]. Much more powerful and versatile and much less cost to worry about if one fails.

Henry
Feel free to edit my images.

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Thanks Henry

I am using MPE65 and it does not matter what magnification ie 2x, to 5x, I still have the same issue, I shoot using the STACKSHOT and intervals is set to 4 seconds. I have test on 6 seconds and higher but still does not charge quick enough.

My settings range from 1/100, iso100, f16 to 1/15. iso100 ,f5.6

I have extended arms where the flash sits on and is perpendicular to the object about 5-6 inches away and I have a diffuser

I will check out this battery pack Compact Battery Pack CP-E2 & Transistor Pack E.

What are the alternatives you are referring to?

cheers
Denis

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Denis,

What internal batteries are you currently using .i.e. rechargeable or non-rechargable?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Saul

Post by Saul »

I'm using 5VDC 4.0A power supply to feed three Nikon SB-27 flashes. Works perfectly, no any delay, no light variations, no problem up to 1/2. If used at the full power - no delay also, but approximately after 50 shots (around 10s interval for each shot) you can feel smell of the burning plastic :D

For outside shooting I'm using sometimes ( if not moving around too much)
6V12Ah non-spillable sealed rechargeable battery for my Nikon SB-800, it lasts forever:
http://batteries.zeusbatteryproducts.co ... es/pn-1096?

Or Nikon SD-8 battery pack - this is lighter option, but it has much less Ah's:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bauras/9663163457/

Saul

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Craig

I am using the eneloop rechargeable batteries and they are new and fully charged . I also tried the powerex rechargeable

cheers
Denis

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Denis,

Do you have a new packet of Duracell AA batteries handy to use in place of rechargeables. I'd be curious to see if your recharger may be a contributing factor.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic