Experiences with NEX 7 + MP-E 65

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

morfa

Experiences with NEX 7 + MP-E 65

Post by morfa »

Hey folks,

I just made a post in my flickr stream describing my findings with the Sony NEX 7 attached to Canon MP-E 65 by means of the "Metabones smart adapter". To sum it up: it works pretty well. I won't cross post the entire thing here, so for those who are interested: please read the post HERE.

Cheers!

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

Interesting review. I have a Nex 3 that I've modified for IR/UV work and a Panasonic GF1 as a walkaround camera. The Nex permits moving around in magnified liveview mode, I would assume this functionality is also present on the Nex 7.

The Nex 3 is very lightweight and not mechanically strong, I worry a bit about shutter vibration and other possible sources of vibration. I got the impression from your review that it was of no concern to you with the Nex 7.

I've tried using enlarger and specialty lenses on the GF1 and it works nicely, giving a very low-weight combination that's easy to carry around in the field (more space for macro and lighting accessories...). In light of that, I feel that the Nex should also have a lot of potential for use with specialty lenses, bellows and tubes. Did you have the opportunity to try any other lens than the 65 MP-E?

I'm using tilt adapters with my cameras, which are interesting when shooting larger (1:2 and above) subjects.

morfa

Post by morfa »

Thanks Oskar! No vibration sensitivity was not on my list of concerns. On the contrary – given the lack of a mirror and the presence of EFCS there is no source of vibrations left to worry about. :) NEX 3 doesn't have EFCS?
The Nex permits moving around in magnified liveview mode, I would assume this functionality is also present on the Nex 7.
Yes, I'm sure you're right and others have pointed this out to me as well. Though, to be precise, the point I was trying to make was actually that I really feel the need for magnified liveview, thanks to "focus peaking". Still, I must confess I appreciate knowing the functionality is probably there after all...

johan

Post by johan »

I think what makes this interesting to many people like myself is that it makes MP-E 65 available for a marque other than Canon. Us philistines have little choice in the 1:1-5:1 range =)
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

John,

I try to keep track of cameras that might be of special use to us because of their vibration characteristics (EFSC). When the Sony Nex-5N and Nex-7 came out they piqued my curiosity, so I appreciate your review.

Two things I really like to have (although not always necessary) is a wired remote and a more "universal" flash capability (hot shoe or old-style PC connector). Finally you can get a flash adapter for the proprietary connector on the Nex-5N, and there are adapters for the proprietary hot-shoe of the Nex-7, so that aspect is manageable. I am curious if the Nex bodies will provide a flash signal without resorting to the mechanical first shutter curtain (as is the case with flash on Canon EFSC bodies). Any idea if this is so?

morfa

Post by morfa »

Oskar O wrote:Did you have the opportunity to try any other lens than the 65 MP-E?

I tried it for five minutes on vertical bellows-setup with a Mitutoyo 5X + tube lens and it worked as expected (no obvious problems).
Charles Krebs wrote:I am curious if the Nex bodies will provide a flash signal without resorting to the mechanical first shutter curtain (as is the case with flash on Canon EFSC bodies). Any idea if this is so?
I really wanted to investigate this as well but couldn't come up with a simple enough way to test it (I actually thought about slaughtering sync cable and tape the ends onto the contacts on the hot shoe but never got around to it). Next time I want to have one of these at hand.

seta666

Post by seta666 »

That is a very nice review; it is good more manufactures are implementing EFSC technology. Last one to do so is panasonic with the G5 (at least on paper)
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemca ... ntrol.html
Regards
Javier

canonian

Post by canonian »

Lots of momentum right now in mirrorless camera's, also in this forum.
I'm considering a new small and lightweight camera to use 80% in studio and 20% outside.
Choices are Sony NEX 5N or Canon EOS-M.
NEX 7 is a bit out of my pricerange I'm afraid, but not yet off my list.

I tend to lean towards the EOS-M, just to keep using all the stuff that's now attached on my Canon DSLR.
EOS-M = baby T4i ?

morfa

Post by morfa »

Today Kipon announced they are also going to make an automatic EF-NEX adapter. And while they are at it they're doing one for MFT as well!

http://photorumors.com/2012/07/25/kipon ... more-28584

Oskar O

Post by Oskar O »

morfa wrote:Thanks Oskar! No vibration sensitivity was not on my list of concerns. On the contrary – given the lack of a mirror and the presence of EFCS there is no source of vibrations left to worry about. :) NEX 3 doesn't have EFCS?
I have not come across it and some sources on the net claim that it's only in the Nex 5N and 7, as well as select Sony DSLRs.

I thought about the review and now find an urge to try the Nex 7... There are some interesting aspects, such as the Nex 3 being a battery hog and Panasonic runs rings around Nex 3/5 in terms of usability. If they've really fixed those in the Nex 7 then it's a much more potent camera and quite interesting for macro, although as a system I prefer micro 4/3.

The Nex 7 + Canon MP-E 65 is at the same time wonderfully useful (1x-5x at 24 mpix in a fairly compact setup) and somewhat inelegant (it's a fat lens that changes length a lot when "zooming"). Now I probably have to read about the alternatives to that lens so I don't get tempted...

Also welcome that Kipon is introducing an adapter; I have several of their adapters and they are mechanically a notch above "generic" adapters, although not up to Novoflex quality (nor price).

pierre

Post by pierre »

Hello John,

Where nice test and impressive results as always.
Thanks for your hard work.
Regards

Pierre

Yousef Alhabshi

Post by Yousef Alhabshi »

Charles Krebs wrote: I am curious if the Nex bodies will provide a flash signal without resorting to the mechanical first shutter curtain (as is the case with flash on Canon EFSC bodies). Any idea if this is so?
Apology to raise this topic up again, I believe by now you & everyone else has got the answer already.. but thought it might be helpful to those who are still seeking an answer.

It's working fine with me. I can do both EFSC+Flash without any problems.

marceppy

Post by marceppy »

I was reading this post and also had read an interesting post that could possibly apply – it was an email post from Tim Grey – a discussion of DOF, focal length, sensor size, compact cameras, and DSLRs. In Tim post, it was noted that:

"With small sensors, one does not need to use a small aperture to obtain great depth of field with a compact camera. In fact, the aperture range is limited on these cameras; the smallest may be f/8 or even f/5.6. As am example, f/5.6 on a Canon G-series camera will give one the depth of field of about f/28 on a full-frame DSLR, given the same focusing distance and equivalent focal length..."

Tim was talking about a compact with a fixed lens, however, would the (smaller) sensor size on compact or other cameras have a greater DOF advantage than using a DSLRs with larger sensors for macro/micro, not considering the affect from vibration with DSLRs? One would also have to consider the flash attachments for compacts; and, would the same DOF advantage apply on compact cameras with smaller sensors when one adapts a different lens to the camera, like the MP-E 65?

Marc

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

marceppy wrote:Tim was talking about a compact with a fixed lens, however, would the (smaller) sensor size on compact or other cameras have a greater DOF advantage than using a DSLRs with larger sensors for macro/micro, not considering the affect from vibration with DSLRs? One would also have to consider the flash attachments for compacts; and, would the same DOF advantage apply on compact cameras with smaller sensors when one adapts a different lens to the camera, like the MP-E 65?
The DOF "advantage" is not real in the sense that you're probably imagining. It comes about because f/8 on a short FL lens means a smaller hole than f/8 on a longer FL lens. The small hole produces more DOF but correspondingly more diffraction to match. The tradeoff between DOF and diffraction is identical for all size sensors; the only question is where on that tradeoff curve each camera is able to operate. In general larger sensors allow accessing more of the curve, because they work with larger lenses which can have larger holes. But for micro/macro applications the differences are small.

This is discussed in detail in an old thread DOF versus lens length and sensor size.

--Rik

Blame

Post by Blame »

I am already seeing used a7's on ebay so they might soon prove an economical way to get FF for macro.

However it does make another point. People are reselling because they buy them and very quickly regret the purchase. I worry about basic usability. I also wonder about life expectancy. They were designed light with compact batteries that run out fast. Heavy usage was probably not a primary design spec.

Still, I am going to keep an eye on them. If the a7r drops enough on ebay then the sensor looks perfect for macro. Also perfect for the MPE-65 which was designed for FF and in my opinion best used on FF.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic