JML 20X Results (keep adding pictures)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Laurie,

Your mite looks very much like a red spider mite or something closely related.

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Harold, according to Macromite:
It is a spider mite and looks like the genus Tetranychus

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

By the way, has anyone tried shooting this lens onto a FF sensor yet?

brant

Post by brant »

Hi everyone. I am a real beginner when it comes to all of this. I have only been using macro lenses for about a month now. My interest/focus is in video, and not photography, but have found this forum to be an incredible resource. The other day I received one of these Objectives (my first one) and put it on the end of my setup just thinking it would be a fun experiment, but I am pretty blown away by the results. This is on a Canon 5D Mark III with the iso all the way up. My biggest problem right now is the vibration, and I have a nice breadboard on the way from Thorlabs. Currently I am in a 3rd floor apartment with my stuff on a wooden table, which is on carpet. Not ideal at all. When someone is in the kitchen, you can see vibrations. I had to make this video at night when everyone went to sleep. Anyways, like I said, go easy on me. I am very new and inexperienced.

https://vimeo.com/46011066

By the way, is there a way to post videos? I would love to start showing you guys what I'm working on.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Brant, welcome aboard!

So you've stepped up from ordinary macro lenses all the way to a 20X objective? That's a big step! What you have looks pretty promising. Using video, the shallow DOF is not such a big problem because you can sweep focus. For stills, you'll probably want to do some stacking.
is there a way to post videos?
Only as you did here, by linking to another site that does the video reformatting and hosting. We're looking at other options, but for now that's the best available.

--Rik

brant

Post by brant »

Thanks for the comment. It doesn't seem like there is much on video out there, maybe the technology hasn't quite caught up yet to let most people do full HD with such a high magnification. I'll continue experimenting to see what kind of results I can get.
Last edited by brant on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

A couple more with the JML, A cute little moth (Pyrausta aurata)

Stacks of 73 and 65 respectively, Zerene PMAX.

canonian

Post by canonian »

Wonderful, Laurie.
The last one is truly a piece of art.
Fit for an enlarged and framed print.

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

Laurie,

Excellent. I am glad that you are enjoying the lens and that it is proving to be both sharp and useful.

Rich

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks again Rich, I'm loving it, it seems to work very nicely in my setup, perhaps because of the 4/3 sensor, I'm curious if anyone is using it with full frame how the corners stack up? (Sorry no pun intended)

Another couple of recent shots with the JML20x of a Holly Blue butterfly (Celastrina argiolus)

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

And some more, probably my favourite subject, the fabulous Sunset Moth from madagascar...

All with the JML20x and Zerene.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

And a few more..

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wonderful images, Laurie!

I see that these objectives are still available, HERE on eBay.

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Rik!

Just a couple more...

JW

Post by JW »

Using the JML 20x as a finite objective, with an iris immediately behind the objective, about 180 mm total distance from objective shoulder to sensor; camera body is last century's Canon 10D. This is about as good as it gets with my setup, so I am very satisfied with the performance of the JML. Very adequate working distance, using Canon dual macro flash for illumination.

These images are arsenate minerals from the Tip Top Mine, Custer County, South Dakota (I didn't realize that I failed to get enough images at either end of the stack sequence until after processing)

Tan spheres are scorodite, red/orange background is arseniosiderite, transparent to opaque aqua to darker green-blue is pharmacosiderite

partial crop

100 % crop - the prismatic pharmacosiderite is quite unusual, normally this mineral forms modified cubic crystals, a hint of which is in the next image

A different region of the same specimen, showing the prismatic crystals of pharmacosiderite growing from the surface of larger crystals, again a 100 % crop; some focus banding may be present due to too large step sizes during stacking, now a challange to do manually with this objective!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic