Leitz 'macro' lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cactusdave

Leitz 'macro' lens

Post by Cactusdave »

This: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280850022494? ... 500wt_1413
might be of interest to somebody. Can't find much reference to it, but I believe it was intended for a Leitz forensic comparison microscope, so long working distance. Could also explain why the vendor has 2 for sale. Magnification X2?
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Some time ago I bought one of those Leitz Makro forensic comparison microscope lenses, the smaller one, with great hopes in its performace but I found it useless: it has very low magnification, very long working distance and it needs chromatic aberration correction at the eyepiece, so I can't use it in the microscope (too long parfocal distance) or in bellows (CA).

What intriges me is that I had seen those lenses mixed with photars and as I think the later ones don't need CA correction
Pau

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

Pau wrote:Some time ago I bought one of those Leitz Makro forensic comparison microscope lenses, the smaller one, with great hopes in its performace but I found it useless: it has very low magnification, very long working distance and it needs chromatic aberration correction at the eyepiece, so I can't use it in the microscope (too long parfocal distance) or in bellows (CA).

What intriges me is that I had seen those lenses mixed with photars and as I think the later ones don't need CA correction
No the Photars were designed to be used on their own without a corrective lens and not only on a microscope if so desired or for taking photos directly attached to a bellows. I am not sure if all Photars cover 4" X 5" film for their intended magnifications, but certainly many or most do. The newest Photars (last 3 of the Photar line) were I believe in the Leica Camera Leica R catalog (as opposed to the Leica Microscope Group) I believe until the Leica R lenses and cameras were discontinued in 2009. I have not checked to see if they are someplace on the Leica Camera website.

Rich

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic