Useful Life for a Camera Body

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JW

Useful Life for a Camera Body

Post by JW »

By vintage and trustworthy Canon 10D body now has 16,000 exposures, and I am accumulating another 500 or so shutter clicks a week, thanks to focus stacking!

I am getting the occasional "error code 99", suggesting that electric contacts are starting to go bad, amongst other parts.

I don't want to be caught short without a camera body, but on the other hand will want to stretch budget towards other goodies (like a stack shot :D )

How many exposures is typical for Canon bodies?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

See http://photocamel.com/forum/canon-forum ... tancy.html.

I don't see that they list a 10D, but the lowest value for cameras that are listed is 50,000 exposures for shutter life.

I did finally wear through a 300D (also not listed) at around 60,000 exposures.

--Rik

seta666

Post by seta666 »

here they have a good database of shutter life; you never know, a camera can die with a couple of clicks
http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

I bouth an EOS 5D with 70.000 actuation and after 15-20.000 more it started to die. (it still works but not for stacking, fails every 20-30 actuations)

Regards

macrochemistry

Post by macrochemistry »

Thanks to some timelapse HDR Videos my Sony A550 made around 70000 shots in about one year :) and is still working perfectly.
Hope my Sony NEX-5N which I bought for focus stacking has as at least similar life time :)

elf

Post by elf »

I have two Olympus e330s with over 120,000 shutter activations each. I'm just waiting for one to fail so I can get a new reliable one.

Peter De Smidt

Post by Peter De Smidt »

I had my shutter quit a few months ago on my d200, which I bought shortly after they came out. A new shutter was only about $250, which seems pretty reasonable.

pierre

Post by pierre »

My 1000D's shutter was out after a 16 000 shots.
Well.. it was dedicated for the stacking and last one year and two months.
This appended just before Christmas :twisted:

A blade of the 2nd shutter goes of through the others and mess up the whole function.

Well, regarding the cost of the repair operation and the cost of a 1100D, I ordered the new model and the day after ordering.
Technically curious, I tried opening my old friend but there were bolts not in a good mod, nor my screwdriver, and I finally give up on this surgery.

Finally, working from the front, I removed one after other each blade of the shutter, along it's metal support, avoiding any contact with the captor.

The purpose of this operation was to test the liveview , and the captor but I was very surprised, finding my 1000D working fine as before, even with a flash 2nd curtain synchro. :shock:

Well the "slag" noise still exist (shutter system works), and I have not performed a full test but it performs good enough for my use.

Since that operation, I have done hundreds of shots without worries.

I course, I do not recommend performing this operation: you can detroying you camera: It seems I was lucky this time

Any comments ?Image

PS sorry for my poor english.
Edit picture correction
Last edited by pierre on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Pierre

conkar

Post by conkar »

There is a software namned EOSinfo that can get the shuttercount out of Canon EOS DSLR's.

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

It worked when I tested it on the Canon EOS 5DmkII.

Regards,

Conny

shrek

Post by shrek »

Very nice Barite ,Pierre :D

jp

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Pierre,

It would appear the image posted is more than a single exposure (possibly 3). Could you tell us the story about the image?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

pierre

Post by pierre »

Thanks JP ;)

Craig,

You are right.
It is a crop of a stack of 105 pictures.
Original field of view 4mm taken with 1000D modified+ bellows ext of 10cm + chinese noname x4 plan.

Those white crystals are named baryte.
It came from a french site "les Montmins", kindly provided for test by a friend.

Herewith a frame
Regards

Pierre

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

i have 275,894 on my nikon d7000..still kickin
Just shoot it......

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The data at http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/ makes clear that shutter life is highly variable and difficult to characterize.

For example, the Canon 450 is spec'd by Canon as 100,000 (according to the posting at photocamel). In contrast, the data at olegkikin says

Average number of actuations after which shutter is still alive: 20,334.1
Average number of actuations after which shutter died: 33,299.9

Looking closer, in olegkikin's data only 12 people reported values over 84,427, and of those, half the shutters were still alive. Only about 10% of the reported shutters had died by 30,000 actuations, and 5% of them had croaked by around 15,000. So the low numbers of actuations reported by olegkikin are mainly because people are not running their cameras to exhaustion. But as seta666 says, a camera can go out any time.

In my own experience, a Canon T1i croaked with maybe 10-15K exposures on it, a month after the warranty ran out. Sounds like the start of a bad story, but in fact Canon did the repair for free because the symptoms indicated a known manufacturing flaw. I was annoyed by the failure, but very pleased with Canon's handling of it.

--Rik

mgoodm3

Post by mgoodm3 »

I hvae about 10k on my D300 and no problems.
I have a D200 and the aperture control went out at about 60k. Go that fixed and still going strong at around 75k for the shutter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic