Olympus Auto Bellows

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

flyer2o12

Olympus Auto Bellows

Post by flyer2o12 »

Hello all,

I have seen an Olympus Auto Bellows for "OM2 OM4TI ETC". I have no idea what this is.

Anyway, my question is, would this bellows fit a Canon 60D and if not is there an adapter that can be obtained to to fit?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

It is an excellent bellows and can fit EOS with an inexpensive OM to EOS adapter easy to find in eBay and some other sites. Very useful if you have OM mount lenses

I would recommend a chipped adapter "AF confirm", not to have AF confirmation of little if any utility for macro but to have good Live view if you use manual exposure mode.
Pau

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

Thanks for the quick response! :D

I want to use it to attach a microscope objective on it. No camera lenses, bar maybe a tube lens if needs be.

So this adapter you speak about, that should fit onto the 60D body, which in turn allows the bellows to be fixed to it?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

flyer2o12 wrote:I want to use it to attach a microscope objective on it. No camera lenses, bar maybe a tube lens if needs be.

So this adapter you speak about, that should fit onto the 60D body, which in turn allows the bellows to be fixed to it?
- You also will need the adequate adapter to fit the objective to the bellows. You can find adapters for OM mount, even the original Olympus RMS to OM but I think it would be easier with a M42x1 bellows like the Pentax Auto Bellows.
- Yes, these adapters allow to fix OM mount lenses (or bellows, tubes...) in Canon EOS cameras

For infinite objectives is easyer to use a tele lens directly

Take a look at:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=12147
and
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 5311#55311
Pau

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

Thanks for you help!

I have ordered the Olympus Auto Bellows. However, after searching for the Pentax one, I discovered that one was cheaper..! #####

I have ordered an M42 RMS cone adapter a few weeks ago and still waiting for it to arrive.

The thread on the Olympus is M42?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

No, OM mount is a bajonet used in Oyympus OM SLR film cameras. I ignore if it easy or hard to find M42 to OM adapters.
Pau

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

No, those are for 4/3 mount, a totally different and much smaller bajonet than OM. In fact many of these adapters on e-bay are mislabeled, because OM is an older and wider mount than 4/3 and when they say "OM 4/3" this is not right.

In a quick ebay search I didn't find any true M42 to OM adapter nor RMS (an usual microscope lens mount) to OM adapter. sorry.
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

To mount a microscope lens you need an adapter like the original Olympus one for RMS mount lenses:
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... mount.html

you can see your bellows info:
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... llows.html
Pau

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

Okay, I've cancelled the Olympus Bellows and I'll order the Pentax bellows instead.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

but be sure you buy a M42 version, not the otherwise identical K mount one. (in the last case you would need another adapter, but this one is easier to find)

Pentax made many M42 bellows models over the time. The "Auto Bellows" is the best one.
Yo can see it in the first picture:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=10821

A M42 extension tube is very convenient to easily mount the camera.
Pau

seta666

Post by seta666 »

I own both bellows an in my opinion the Olympus are better than the pentax. The pentax are still very good and in fact they are lighter.
The OM 4/3-M42 adapters work on the OM mount, but the lock does not (OM cameras had lock on len and 4/3 on camera)
Regards

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

seta666 wrote: The OM 4/3-M42 adapters work on the OM mount, but the lock does not (OM cameras had lock on len and 4/3 on camera)
Good to know, I did read somewere that it was smaller but never used any 4/3 stuff.
Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

My OM to 4/3 adapter does that too! Not a great fit, though. It looks as though it would be better with a lilttle ground off.

About all you can readily-ish get to fit on to an OM bellows is a reversing ring, which will take you to 49mm or 52mm, or a T2 mount.
I have two different manufacturer's 52mm rev rings and they're both very poor. T2 and the original Oly rev ring are OK but no longer made.
You CAN get OM extension tubes, to which you can always weld things.

Canon chipped adapter??
I would recommend a chipped adapter "AF confirm", not to have AF confirmation of little if any utility for macro but to have good Live view if you use manual exposure mode.
I hadn't noticed any difference between the adapters, chipped or not, in LV manual?
(T3i/600D)

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

What sort of adapter will I need to fix the Pentax Auto Bellows to the Canon body?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic