Lens Advice needed please

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dave_putty

Lens Advice needed please

Post by dave_putty »

Hi everyone

Today I saw A Tamron 90mm sp af 1:2.5 for sale for £100 so at this price I bought it with the knowledge that if there are any problems I can return it...on testing it out It will not work on my Nikon D80...I get F-EE error but if I connect a kenko tube it works ok and the results are stunning...the big question I have is should I return it as faulty and buy the new Tamron 90mm macro(will the optics be as good as this old lens ?) or put up with this fault if thats what it is... Also why is this old lens so much better than my nikon 50mm 1.8 and Tamron 70-300 which are both brand new modern lenses
Nikon D80

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Dave- It is my understanding that alot of the differences between different model lenses are a result of the design. Our modern lenses are made up of so many different elements, all coated differently. Each manufacturer is looking for that perfect combination of elements for each particular focal point, or, range, as in the case for zooms. When you couple that with buying a lens that "fits" your style of shooting, there are alot of combinations out there. If your new lens works well for you, that's awesome! It just means it is a better fit for what you are doing, as opposed to one of your other lenses. If you decided to take only people portraits, you might find another lens, by another maker, that works better for that task!

If your new lens is not working 100%, RETURN it for another of the same model!! Back in the old days, one lens could be slightly better than another of the same model. But, with today's modern CNC lens grinding, and better methods of manufacturing and assembly, lens quality has gotten very consistant. I would bet, if you got another of the same model lens, you will be just as pleased! If at anytime you feel your lens is not focusing as sharp as it once did, you can have it recalibrated by the manufacturer. Out of warrenty, this can cost a couple hundred bucks! But, the options there if you need it.

This is my personel opinion. I know lenses cost a lot of money!! Don't do anything your not comfortable with. But, I think if you have to use an extension tube with your new lens, to avoid an error code, get it replaced!
Bill

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Dave - just a thought - have you compared the mounts on the extension tube and lens for any discombobularities :) ?

I know nothing about Niikon gear (as use Canon) but am aware of features on Canon EF mounts that need to be modified under certain circumstances - eg when making converters to allow old FD (manual focus Canon lenses) to be used on newer camera bodies designed for use with auto focus (EF) lenses.

As Nikon have kept the same mount thoughout - as I understand - but with minor changes along the way (presumably) - I wonder if there's some difference that's causing this anomoly?

Might be worth a look, if you haven't already investigated?

(Have also used (and liked results from) a Tamron sp90, btw - albeit a manual focus one working via a converter)

pp

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

If you can arrange it, I'd try comparing results from side-by-side shooting with the modern lens and the old one. I'm assuming the modern one is considerably more expensive.

If you only want to use the 90mm for macro, and don't care about other focal lengths, and the price difference is substantial, I'd seriously consider just always using the 90mm for macro, and keeping a short (12mm or so) extension tube attached to it all the time. Disadvantage of course is that you have no way to take a shot if Bigfoot starts tapdancing in front of you while you are shooting macro. But you probably are willing to take that chance!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Dave,

I am afraid it is you not the lens or the camera! If you read the back of your manual there is usually a list of error messages and their meanings. F-EE means you have a lens with an aperture ring on a Nikon autofocus digital camera that needs the aperture ring locked at it's minimum aperture (largest f-number) because the auto camera itself sets the f-stops, not the lens aperture ring. The newer Nikon G lenses, just designed for the APS sized sensors and not 35mm, have no aperture rings anyway, but an aperture ring on a macro lens for a Nikon is always handy if you reverse it.

If you do not lock the lenses aperture ring at its minimum aperture you will always get the F-EE error mesage.

The lens is better than your f1.8 standard lens close up because it is optimised for close up photography so should theoretically get worse as you focus towards infinity. Whereas conventional lenses (even so called macro zooms) are optimised for infinity and in theory get worse as they focus closer. However, with good quality lenses, plus now correction by floating elements, this difference is not as great as it used to be.

Also, a fixed focal length lens is always easier to correct optically than an "all singing all dancing" zoom which tries to do so many different things. The old saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" holds true in lenses. Zooms seldom ever have the same optical quality as a quality fixed focal length lens. But a zoom saves you both the expense and problem of carrying around many fixed focal length lenses, and for general photography their images are more than good enough. Plus the longer the zoom range the harder the lens is to correct and the more compromises that have to be made.

DaveW (Dave Whiteley, Moderator on PlanetNikon)

dave_putty

Post by dave_putty »

DaveW wrote:Dave,

I am afraid it is you not the lens or the camera! If you read the back of your manual there is usually a list of error messages and their meanings. F-EE means you have a lens with an aperture ring on a Nikon autofocus digital camera that needs the aperture ring locked at it's minimum aperture (largest f-number) because the auto camera itself sets the f-stops, not the lens aperture ring.
Thanks for that Dave but I know what the F-EE error means and this lens gives this error on any fstop setting...my question was should I put up with this fault given the price paid...£100 or should i return it and buy a modern macro lens(will the optics be as good as this sp 90)
Nikon D80

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Dave

Take it back to the shop with your camera and see what they say and let them try another lens with an aperture ring on your camera to see if that works OK. I presume your other lenses work OK with the camera and don't report this error? Do they have aperture rings however?

I can't think why you are getting this error report if the ring is set to it's minimum aperture, unless the lens diaphragm is "sticky" and not closing right down though the aperture ring is set to it's minimum setting. Obviously as it is a lens by an independent maker the camera manufacturers (be it Nikon, Canon or any of the others) just wash their hands of solving these problems and say they only advise on their own lenses and you will have to contact the lens maker for advice on compatibility with their cameras.

Try contacting Tamron UK first to see what they say:-

http://www.tamron.co.uk/

There is a "Contact Us" link on the above web page and ask their advice.

DaveW

dave_putty

Post by dave_putty »

Hi Dave

My tamron 70-300 and nikon 50mm both have aperture rings but I dont get this error...the Tamron 90m sp is an old lens however and I suspect it may be faulty I am taking it back today with my camera...I'll be sad to see it go though because it takes superb pictures
Nikon D80

dave_putty

Post by dave_putty »

I took the Tamron 90mm sp back and it was found to be faulty :cry:

this is a big shame cos the pictures with an extension tube fitted were amazing...oh well I will have to save for a new one or keep looking for another bargain
Nikon D80

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Tough decision, but a good one. If the lens was already giving you problems, down the road you are better off. I really think if you look around you will find another lens that is just as good. Lens technology and quality has gotten so much better in recent years! Good luck in your search!
Bill

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Dave,

You may pick up a genuine Nikon 105mm AF-D micro nikkor on EBAY within your price range if you are lucky. The older model has only just been superseded by a VR (vibration reduction) version:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Nikkor-105m ... dZViewItem

You can post an alert on EBAY so it e-mails you if anybody puts up a Nikon or Tamron macro lens for auction of the version you want, or one with a "buy it now" price.

There is a secondhand Tamron macro here, but I do not know what version:-

http://www.camcentre.co.uk/used.htm

You could always advertise for one anyway. I think London Camera Exchange has a couple of Tamron's macro's listed at some of their branches, but their web site crawls on my computer!

DaveW

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Dave,

We had a similar problem on PlanetNikon recently that may relate to your Tamron:-

"I am aggravated at my F5 right now!

I thought I would try out a few of these old AI lenses on it, and guess what!!!!!!!!??????

The F5 will not work with an AI lens. I don't remember this being a problem, but I get an FEE error even at the smallest aperture. I guess I need a minimum of an AI-S lens. I think it is highly funny that my digital D2x will work fine with AI lenses but my film F5 won't."

I wonder whether your Tamron was not faulty but an AI lens instead of an AI-S one so the camera just did not recognise it? Some of the higher end professional Nikon cameras will take virtually every lens ever produced for Nikon's, but some including the "consumer" cameras will not.

Dave Whiteley

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic