Acratech GP /Markins M20-Q Lever/ RRS BH / Ballhead Choice

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Craig Gerard

Acratech GP /Markins M20-Q Lever/ RRS BH / Ballhead Choice

Post by Craig Gerard »

Acratech GP Ballhead

http://acratech.net/pages.php?pageid=24

Is anyone using this particular ballhead or the GPV?

http://acratech.net/

Should I be considering something else with similar capabilities?

Craig

*edited title
Last edited by Craig Gerard on Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

I have an Acratech Ultimate. Bought it for a specific purpose - lightweight rig for desert use (I used to live in New Mexico) for which it was perfect as it is very easy to keep clean. It is not as solid as my RRS heads, which in turn lag my Burzynski. What particular use do you imagine for it ?
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Andrew,

Basically attracted to its weight, tension control, design, quick, precise positioning and the other attributes you mentioned. It will be coupled with the wooden Stabil Macro Tripod.

The GV2 would most likely suffice, but for a few more dollars, the added functionality of the GP or GPs seems a logical consideration.

Craig

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

I found my Ultimate always used to "settle" when locked in position, so basically I had to frame "high" on the subject to get what I really needed. Today I keep it on an old tipod I use when working in really dirty / wet conditions. I use an RRS BH-40 as my everyday ballhead and would recommend.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc ... -LR&key=it

Andrew

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

When I was choosing a good ballhead (after, of course, having a non-good one and a hurts-my-wrists three-way head), one of the features I particularly wanted was that the head stay in place as it was tightened up. I needed to be able to loosen it up to move things around and get the framing right, then tighten without anything shifting.

Plus of course good build quality, good load capability, arca-swiss compatibility.

It was on that basis (and after feedback from owners of several ballheads) that I selected a Markins M20, which I ordered direct from Korea. I have been pretty pleased with it.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Andrew wrote:I found my Ultimate always used to "settle" when locked in position
Chris wrote:one of the features I particularly wanted was that the head stay in place as it was tightened up. I needed to be able to loosen it up to move things around and get the framing right, then tighten without anything shifting.
Yes, I've been reading some reviews on the GP to see if that aspect has been addressed in the latest offerings from Acratech. The 'tension knob' may be sufficient?

Craig

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

This summary of ballheads makes interesting reading.

The alternative french supplier of Burzynski Pro-Tec ball heads mentioned in that article, Photo & Nature, is less than 1km from my house :)

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

ChrisLilley wrote: I selected a Markins M20, which I ordered direct from Korea. I have been pretty pleased with it.
From this ebay supplier, dhsummer.

Will Milne

Post by Will Milne »

I can't speak to other heads mentioned but- I have been using a RRS BH-55 for some time. The lock on the ball is tremendous it simply needs to be snugged not tightened to hold anything up to my Nikkor 500 mm f4 and below with confidence. The tension control seems redundant to me I simply use the lock control for the same purpose it offer that much control.

Will

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

This report on vibration measurements of various ballheads, lenses , cameras and tripods (PDF) is also interesting.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Thanks for the additional information.

All worthwhile reading, thanks for the links Chris. 'micro slip' and 5um donuts :shock:

The Burzynski ProTec looks interesting. I believe I saw Andrew using one with a benchtop setup. I will do some more reading....

I see green flags from Andrew and Will on particular RRS models and green flags for the Markins from Chris and Mr. Mah ......too many choices.

It may come down to flipping a coin :? I'm still leaning toward the Acratech GP Ballhead....I need to work out why.

Craig

OzRay

Post by OzRay »

One of the rarely talked about ball heads is the Novoflex. I have the Classic Ball 5, after going through a number of dissapointing ones, such as the Manfrotto and Gitzo. The other advantage was that the Novoflex was readily available in Oz, compared to RSS, Markins etc (at the time anyway).

http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/prod74.htm

What makes this one special is the fact that it has three cutouts in the mount, allowing much greater flexibility in the ball location, it has an excellent tensioning device which will hold the largest lens without creep, and can be used in the worst possible conditions without any fear of binding.

Cheers

Ray

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Craig Gerard wrote:.... The Burzynski ProTec looks interesting. I believe I saw Andrew using one with a benchtop setup. I will do some more reading....
It is massive and absolutely stable. In the interests of multitasking you could probably also use it for driving fence posts !
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Andrew wrote:It is massive and absolutely stable. In the interests of multitasking you could probably also use it for driving fence posts !
Cool. That would save me subsequent headaches.

Craig

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Ray,

Thanks for the tip regarding MLP.

I was in contact with them today 8)

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic