Nikon L200 Microscope with an APSC camera?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

PhotogrAzure

Nikon L200 Microscope with an APSC camera?

Post by PhotogrAzure »

I have lookup up the Nikon Eclipse L200N microscope can use an APSC camera via a Nikon F mount adapter MQD43000. But it looks like the older Eclipse L200's trinocular has a different port, it look like it won't accept a MQD43000. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or an idea how to adapt an APSC camera to the older Eclipse L200 microscope.

update 1 (26 May): Thanks very much everyone for your output. I've found an old 2007 nikon chart, I'll include. I'm also considering an alternative solution, to use a C mount 1 inch camera, which could be a lot easier system to build?

update1 chart:
Last edited by PhotogrAzure on Thu May 26, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

blekenbleu

Re: Nikon L200 Microscope with an APSC camera?

Post by blekenbleu »

PhotogrAzure wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:38 am
I'm wondering if anyone has experience or an idea how to adapt an APSC camera to the older Eclipse L200 microscope.
I have an idea:
  • the image and both diagrams seem to show the L2-TT;
  • the image and first diagram seem to show the V-T Photo Adapter
That V-T Photo Adapter could be removed and replaced by an MQD43000,
which is compatible into the L2-TT: https://www.microscope.healthcare.nikon ... a-adaptors
... but I question whether your APSC camera will work with it, seemingly only MQA17000 (or DS-Qi2 or Digital Sight 10?),
https://d33b8x22mym97j.cloudfront.net/p ... AK-4_3.pdf
...because F-mount DSLR flange-to-sensor distance could prevent focusing,

A more generic APS-C camera would use e.g. the PLI 2X projection/relay lens
with the V-T Photo Adapter, some additional extension tube and camera-specific coupling adapter.
Alternatively, another mirrorless APS-C body may get focus with some adapter similar to (but different from) the MQD43000.
I would start by experimenting with an M39-M42 adapter, M42 male coupler, and M42 adapter for an available mirrorless APS-C camera
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

If the end port of the microscope phototube is of 38mm diameter, I would suggest the V-T tube (or the similar although not identical T-BPA) with a PLI 2X projective eyepiece and a camera adapter tube or bellows from 42mm smooth tube to F mount, like the scarce old Nikon SLR adapter, the diagnostic instruments PA-12-1A or custom adapted bellows or extension tube like what I use*

I must recognize that I don't understand the use of the MQD43000 F mount adapter (position, possible optics...)

* https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 91#p267691
Pau

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

Pau wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:57 am
I must recognize that I don't understand the use of the MQD43000 F mount adapter (position, possible optics...)
I stumbled onto this:
f-mount_cameras.png
Nikon offers larger-than-C-mount video cameras using F-mount
which seemingly mount close enough for tube lens to focus on their sensor.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

If you're using aps-c direct projection is great on nikon. A mirrorless camera should be able to accomplish that with a bit of adapting.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

At “Microscope Components for Fluorescence Illumination and Transmitted Light Applications” brochure (different pdf files with this title can be downloaded) you can find the following schema:
NikonF eclipse adapters.jpg
It’s clear that the MDQ43000 has standard F mount and the same flange focal distance than the MDQ43020 2.5X (and Nikon SLRs) and that both mount at the same 40mm photo port, but, pay attention, the image circle written is only 17.3mm vs 42.3mm of FX sensors and the MDQ43020.

It seems to be just a short empty tube and, if so, it will allow direct projection on sensor.
If the image circle is really so limited it only would fill 1” sensors, not APSC, despite that many Nikon CFI60 objectives can easily cover it and even FF. Maybe it doesn't limit the image circle so much.

I don’t understand why Nikon pairs both so different F mount adapters with the FF cameras in several Eclipse microscopes brochures.

Likely it would be easy to make a custom similar adapter. I had good results with direct projection on Canon 7D APSC sensor of the image from the SMZ1000 P-IBSS2 40mm photoport image
Pau

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

All that's needed with a mirrorless camera is a 38mm od to m42 adapter and a flat m42 adapter for your camera mount. It's not always trivial to find flat ones for mirrorless cameras but one should be available. Direct projecting onto a dslr with a longer flange focal distance would not be as easy. I use the one gen earlier equivalent head and I had to carefully shuck it, remove part of the trinocular mount and 3d print a modified replacement. Worth it though!

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:38 am
All that's needed with a mirrorless camera is a 38mm od to m42 adapter
Thanks for the link; I was about to try improvising one from 1.5" plastic sink drain tubing, epoxy cement and a short M42 extension tube.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic