MAG.X 8X / 0.32 LD PLAN APOCHROMATIC OBJECTIVE

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

MAG.X 8X / 0.32 LD PLAN APOCHROMATIC OBJECTIVE

Post by RobertOToole »

Just received word yesterday, and I hope I am not jinxing myself here speaking too early, but there is a Mag.x 8x / 0.32 APO on the way to me as a loan for one month. :shock:

One little potential problem already before it even gets here. The lens has to been insured with the insured value set at 15,700 Euro, and its listed as 'made in Germany'. #-o I have no idea how US customs treats loaned equipment, but I am seriously concerned at this point :-k

What's a Mag.x? :-k

Background of the Mag.x series (from my site)

-The Mag.x system is the first and only inspection system designed for high sub-µm resolution with a large image circle, this makes the Mag.x objectives one-of-a-kind.

-Mag.x System 125 was designed for for micro-inspection, dimensional measurement, high-resolution inspection, and semiconductor inspection work.

-True APO correction from 430 – 700nm. The 5x is actually a super APO (compared to Nikon APOs) but not sure about the 8x

-Bi or double telecentric design

-no coverslip design

-HR NA (0.32)

-Diffraction limited performance over the entire field-of-view ( FOV )

-Uniform illumination over the field

-Extra large exit pupil

-Note available off-the-shelf

-Made-to-order, 6-10 week delivery

More info on the lens on my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/qiopt ... -objective

Qioptiq-Mag.x-8x-drawing-ver2.jpg

Scarodactyl

Re: MAG.X 8X / 0.32 LD PLAN APOCHROMATIC OBJECTIVE

Post by Scarodactyl »

Wowza! That's amazing, I am pretty excited to hear how well it lives up to the high bar set by the 5x.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, this is amazing!

The bad news is that technically there is a special tariff on German lenses, or at least I once got a warning about that on paper. In the end I was not charged.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:05 pm
Yes, this is amazing!

The bad news is that technically there is a special tariff on German lenses, or at least I once got a warning about that on paper. In the end I was not charged.
You got lucky Lou!

I was hit last year, the first time I've ever paid duty in my life, for a inspec.x L lens, luckily the south Korean seller listed the item for only $80. US customs hit me with a 25% duty + a special 2.3% on top.

Whats 25% of $16K? $4,000. Would be worse if the stated value was in Euros.

I should send our ex-president the bill so he can cover it for me, he told us for 4 years that China and the EU will pay all the tariffs......that's how it works right? :-k #-o {-X :shock:

EU tariff warning thread:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 69#p264169

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:32 pm
Wowza! That's amazing, I am pretty excited to hear how well it lives up to the high bar set by the 5x.
I have a sneaky suspicion the 10X HR will beat this lens pushed down to 8x.

But on the other hand, the Mag.x 8x, should be super pushed down to 5x!

The Mitutoyo 5x 0.14 M Plan APO is something like f/3 nominal? I forget exactly. The 8x pushed down would be f/1.3 or something close to that I think, with much better CA correction #-o (at least judging by the 5x)

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

wow, going to be exiting.
there must be a way to get back tax when you ship things back, after all when lenses get sent for repairs nobody pays tax on the retail price. probably a pain though.
In germany, I had to go to the customs office every second shipment that looks like the item is more than 100EUR and show them proof of purchase. with the corona situation, thing seem to slip through more often.

I think you'd have to test the Mag.x on a pixel shift camera to see the full performance difference. At least that's the case with my Rayfact 1x. At 47MP FF it's only mildly better then other good 1x lenses, but with pixel shift the difference is really big.
chris

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:00 pm
wow, going to be exiting.
there must be a way to get back tax when you ship things back, after all when lenses get sent for repairs nobody pays tax on the retail price. probably a pain though.
In germany, I had to go to the customs office every second shipment that looks like the item is more than 100EUR and show them proof of purchase. with the corona situation, thing seem to slip through more often.
Hopefully! I will post an update as soon as I find out.
I think you'd have to test the Mag.x on a pixel shift camera to see the full performance difference. At least that's the case with my Rayfact 1x. At 47MP FF it's only mildly better then other good 1x lenses, but with pixel shift the difference is really big.
Yes, I agree 100%. Did you see the crop I posted recently, made with a MacroVaron with HR on and off, the difference is fantastic!

Also ran a PN105 with HR pixel shift, not sure if I ever posted those crops though, so I know what you mean.

Best,

Robert

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

RobertOToole wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 pm
Yes, I agree 100%. Did you see the crop I posted recently, made with a MacroVaron with HR on and off, the difference is fantastic!
yep, great comparison! for those who missed it, it's here:
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 42#p270442

your image also shows less processing artefacts the others I've seen from Sony cameras (although it seems to me that there are still some). so far Panasonic seem to be the only one that really got it right in my opinion (Sony and Fuji being problematic).
chris

leonsit

Post by leonsit »

Did you get their tube lens system on loan too? They have a 2.25x tube lens that covers even largest medium format sensor size in their spec sheet which makes me very curious. Looking at the shape, it seems to be a PITA to mount it on third party parts...

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

your image also shows less processing artefacts the others I've seen from Sony cameras (although it seems to me that there are still some). so far Panasonic seem to be the only one that really got it right in my opinion (Sony and Fuji being problematic).
I think Olympus also gets it right.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:19 am
RobertOToole wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 pm
yep, great comparison! for those who missed it, it's here:
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 42#p270442

I posted something on this in the past, I will run a search for it in a minute, I tried Sony software and I ended up going with an app from LibRaw, called PixelShift2DNG, I got better, cleaner results than the Sony app:

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/PixelShift2DNG
PixelShift2DNG.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

leonsit wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:49 am
Did you get their tube lens system on loan too? They have a 2.25x tube lens that covers even largest medium format sensor size in their spec sheet which makes me very curious. Looking at the shape, it seems to be a PITA to mount it on third party parts...
No. Now that you mention it that would have been interesting!

Years ago they quote me $6K for the tube lens, I believe the 2.25x.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Update Thursday 1.29.21

Package is on the way from Munich (Bavaria). In response to my question about customs, and import duties, they told me if there are any problems they can increase the loan period. I'll give it a little time and will call Fedex about customs, or maybe better I should keep quiet about it and just see what happens. :shock:

In the meantime I will let my receiving department know to expect a package, the receiving department being my wife :D

fedex-screenshot.jpg

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

If I were you, I'd wait until FEDEX contacts you about any problem.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:29 am
If I were you, I'd wait until FEDEX contacts you about any problem.
Yeah good idea Lou. #-o

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic