Noble Nature - Nomadic Bee

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkB1

Noble Nature - Nomadic Bee

Post by MarkB1 »

It's a new season and this young bee is in its prime, flowing mane, proud stature, a lightness of being. Wonderful creatures. Roosting on a grass stem at dusk where 'he' will catch the first rays of the morning sun.

Though recent flooding has disrupted things, for now.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Luscious composition and colors -- I love the way the background complements the subject in both colors and alignment.

I know your work tends to be true-to-nature, but I just have to ask: are the colors naturally this bright?

--Rik

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

I haven't done anything here that I don't do with everything else. It's more or less OOC jpg (on std to min settings) with minimal PP in Picasa, denoised and sharpened in NeatImage - the usual.

BG is a handful of grass from the field the bee is in, held behind while holding the grass stem bee is on, same hand. The grass colours can be very bright, depends on the handful and the situation or orientation of the subject and access to it without disturbance. So many things make a difference to the shot I get.

I don't aim for true-to-nature, I aim for the best out of it with what I have and do. I just don't like to do a lot.

And I think true-to-nature applies in macro only up to a point. We see one thing and often the camera and flash 'see' another.
rjlittlefield wrote:Luscious composition and colors -- I love the way the background complements the subject in both colors and alignment.

I know your work tends to be true-to-nature, but I just have to ask: are the colors naturally this bright?

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

MarkB1 wrote:I don't aim for true-to-nature, I aim for the best out of it with what I have and do. I just don't like to do a lot.
Good distinction -- thanks for the lesson!

--Rik

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

I don't usually go into these things people often argue about. Most of what I've seen called true-to-nature is just dull and lifeless, to me. There is no other vision, and that's ok for them.

I have an 'other' vision is all.
rjlittlefield wrote:
MarkB1 wrote:I don't aim for true-to-nature, I aim for the best out of it with what I have and do. I just don't like to do a lot.
Good distinction -- thanks for the lesson!

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

MarkB1 wrote:I don't usually go into these things people often argue about.
Not to worry -- argument is discouraged here at photomacrography.net. :)

By policy we're into collegial discussions, mostly bent on figuring out how to get desired results, whatever each person happens to desire. If people want to argue about "right" and "wrong" ways to do things, there are other forums where that's welcomed.

I was serious about "thanks for the lesson", by the way. That trick of positioning a handful of grass for background is one that would not have occurred to me, and it's very helpful to have insight into how you go about making your striking images.

--Rik

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

No problem. It's not always manageable though, I might have to devise a frame for the grass/BG - to keep it where I want it with the least fuss, but I am loathe to add to 'things'.
rjlittlefield wrote:I was serious about "thanks for the lesson", by the way. That trick of positioning a handful of grass for background is one that would not have occurred to me, and it's very helpful to have insight into how you go about making your striking images.

--Rik

januszj

Post by januszj »

That's a beautifull picture and the first time I have seen a bee wrap its legs around something. I obviously need to get out and use my eyes some more :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Just so you know...

I've moved a reply by Tesselator to its own thread, Constructed backgrounds. It addresses a technical topic that is only peripherally related to this image gallery post by MarkB1.

--Rik

Edit: corrected typo
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Thanks Jan. There are plenty about, around 1500 species known, many too small to recognize without some magnification.
januszj wrote:That's a beautifull picture and the first time I have seen a bee wrap its legs around something. I obviously need to get out and use my eyes some more :)

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Thanks Rik.
rjlittlefield wrote:Just so you know...

I've moved a reply by Tesselator to its own thread, Constructed backgrounds. It addresses a technical topic that is only peripherally related to this image gallery post by MarkB1.

--Rik

Edit: corrected typo

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Beautiful composition and great colors. Nice looking bee.

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Thanks Mitch, appreciated. They are beauties.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic