Chondritic Meteorite section

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

micro_pix

Chondritic Meteorite section

Post by micro_pix »

Hi,

this is a section of a chondritic meteorite that was found in Iran. It's a stitch of around 300 photos taken with a 5x objective under crossed polars. The original image is 50,000 x 30,000px so the 300kb limit here means you can't see much detail at all. The story behind these pre-planetary chondritic meteorites is fascinating and I've enjoyed learning a bit about them.

Dave
Chondritic meteorite section
Chondritic meteorite section
Last edited by micro_pix on Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Chondritic Meteorite section

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice!
micro_pix wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:36 am
The original image is 50,000 x 30,000px
Thinking of this image in terms of a print, those dimensions translate to 13.9 x 8.3 feet, at 300 pixels per inch.

So, as custom wallpaper, that would fill a good-sized "feature wall" at a resolution that would look tack sharp standing close with reading glasses.

Such large images always make me curious: what are your thoughts & goals on how these 1.5 gigapixels can be utilized well?

--Rik

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Thanks Rik. I wanted an image of the whole section, the lowest magnification that gave a nice saturated image using transmitted x polarisation light on my particular set-up was my 5x objective, so that is what I used. I have no use for a 50,000 x 30,000px image that the stitching process created. The image on Flickr is 10,000 x 7000 which is a resolution that allows closer inspection of the Chondrules.

Dave

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Here are some images of the detail using a 10x and 20x objective.
2021-02-12-20.19.jpg
2021-02-12-20.2E.jpg
2021-02-12-20.ee.jpg
2021-02-12-20.13.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Wow! That is cool. Interesting especially how the nodules are made of smaller nodules.
Of course the most famous one related to these is the Murchison meteorite. This is a carbon-rich chondritic meteorite found to contain a wide range of organic compounds, including amino acids (the building blocks of proteins), that were not formed on earth.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Thanks for that Mark, I didn’t know the full story about the Murchison meteorite. I see that there is a lot of effort being put in to finding freshly fallen meteorites as soon as possible after impact, before too much contamination (you can even set up a sky camera yourself and join the network), but it’s very rarely achieved.

Dave

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

The image is very interesting and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I am also making large images of archaeological pieces (sorry, until it is published I cannot show anything, and it is not strictly macro either) and I cannot find a suitable software capable of handling 140 images taken with my Canon 2000D through a macro 100, covering areas of 6x4cm each and leaving wide overlap without adding distortion to the image.

I have almost finished (4 images of 34000x34000 px) but I am not very satisfied with the result. If you have a suggestion for me, I listen to you very carefully

JL

Post by JL »

Hi Jose Antonio.

I normally prepare photo-mosaics from petrographical thin sections, although not as bigger as you do. In my case, they are usually 54 pictures, taken on my microscope using a Canon 550D. For stitching, I use either Microsoft ICE or Affinity Photo.

Microsoft ICE is really fast at compiling these mosaics, and you can choose from different projections. Most probably you know of this program already.

Good luck.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

soldevilla wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:56 pm
The image is very interesting and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I am also making large images of archaeological pieces (sorry, until it is published I cannot show anything, and it is not strictly macro either) and I cannot find a suitable software capable of handling 140 images taken with my Canon 2000D through a macro 100, covering areas of 6x4cm each and leaving wide overlap without adding distortion to the image.

I have almost finished (4 images of 34000x34000 px) but I am not very satisfied with the result. If you have a suggestion for me, I listen to you very carefully
Thanks for the comment. I use Microsoft ICE too. The photo above was built from 300 22.3MP overlapping images and ICE had no problem with that - I do have a good graphics card and plenty of memory on the pc. I think you can do limited perspective adjustment during the process but I’ve never needed to do that.

Dave

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Thanks. I will try it tomorrow. I use autopano, Fotomerge and Camera Raw, and... well... I need a lot of work for to have a good final image. And I can´t measure anything in the composed image.

Josep

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic