Barnacle nauplius

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Barnacle nauplius

Post by Charles Krebs »

These shots are of a barnacle larva that hatched out of an egg mass found in a salt water sample (a couple of barnacles broke off into my jar while collecting some algae).
The eggs can be seen over in the "macro" section:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=3879

I remember seeing a great darkfield shot Wim had taken of this subject... think I like his a little better, so I guess I'll keep trying. :wink:

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Great shots on both posts Charlie. I never get to see things such as this, since I am now landlocked here in the mountains. :( I would say you did a great job on these, as usual. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lovely, just lovely!

But the set is not complete... Do we get the cross-polarized muscles tomorrow (hint, hint) ??

BTW, what is the size on these beasts?

--Rik

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

now that is just awesome!
Jordan L. photo southern california.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks all!

Rik... I did think the internal musculature would really "light up" with crossed polarizers, so I tried it. Kind of a yawn. Could be I didn't play around enough to get the "angles" right. If I try these again I'll take another look.

tpe

Post by tpe »

Wow, fantastic pictures, even the missus said so, "what are those, they are really pretty, really nice" and it is quite something to even be able to get her to look up from her lap top screen.

tim

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Charlie! You are too modest. And I think your memory plays tricks on you. :) These are super! But it is good to strive for the best possible image, although you should not forget to get pleasure from the results!!!!! :) I hope you can keep them alive long enough to see the next stage, the Cypris stage. This Nauplius is named after the copepod's Nauplius larva, the next stage looks like an Ostracod. Strange animals these Copepods!

best regards! Wim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic