Tillandsia ionantha

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Tillandsia ionantha

Post by beetleman »

Even though it seems like it is still the dead of winter here in New hampshire (see this post), it is very tropical in my mini orchid terrarium. This air plant ,Tillandsia ionantha, does not care if there is 16" of snow on the ground, it is just blooming away like it is in the tropics. This is a very common air plant and this species is the one you see glued to shells and wood at a lot of stores and tourist traps around the world. Each single plant is around 9cm long (3.5") x 5cm wide (2"). Inset is a picture of the whole group of plants. After flowering, they go back to being green in color.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

beautiful color on this flower. Quite unique. Glad you could preserve some spring in all that Snow :-)
Carl B. Constantine

jaharris1001

Post by jaharris1001 »

beautifull colors Doug !! Looks very tropical :wink:
Jim

"I'm growing older,, but not up " Jimmy Buffett

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Doug,

What striking colors! The water droplets add so much appeal too.

These are among my favorite plants. As long as a plant is strange I try to grow it. Mine flower once in a great while, but I don't have any good photos.

Roy

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

It is lovely to see a spot of colour in the middle of the winter Doug. What would we do without our terrariums?? A gorgeous shot. :)
Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug wrote:
This is a very common air plant and this species is the one you see glued to shells and wood at a lot of stores and tourist traps around the world.
Well I see that you got loose there Doug :lol: Quite unique, I have heard of air ferns but never one of these. Reminds me of an over grown moss species, very beautiful. :D

RobertoM

Post by RobertoM »

Beautiful colors!

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

wow great colour Doug!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic