Zonocerus elegans (Elegant Grasshopper)

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JoanYoung

Zonocerus elegans (Elegant Grasshopper)

Post by JoanYoung »

Hooray!! At last I have taken a picture of something which I could put a name to!! These were about 2 ½ inches in length.

This one is still young and the yellow parts turn orange then red when mature. Reading about them, they are a pest and do damage to vegetable and fruit farms, cotton fields and sugarcane. They like the milkweed plant and can emit a nauseating yellow fluid when disturbed. Eggs are laid in autumn and remains in the ground for 6 months, hatching in spring and reaching maturity in 75 days.

Now here is the interesting thing – a while back I posted a picture of a black ball of hoppers which I found and could not properly identify. These were at the same location, I surmise that it was the newly hatched Elegant although I cannot find a picture of them in a younger form.

Joan Young

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice, Joan.

Beautiful colors, nice composition, tack sharp where it needs to be, and a solid ID and some life history to go with it. Don't know what else we could ask for! :D

--Rik

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks for the kind words Rik. I was lucky enough to find this one in my book but I am really struggling with names. We are definitely very backward here in certain ways. LOL!!
Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Have to agree with Rik there Joan, quite an excellent photo and info to go with it and no artifacts to trouble you this time. I noted your file size, great! :smt023

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks Ken. I think the larger file size might have been the problem and did not realize it until this problem was discussed. This was very helpful info. :)
Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

It is good to know and to see that the forums are of help when it comes to things of this nature Joan. That is what they are all about, knowledgeable people sharing their expertise and helping others to take better macro and micro images. :D

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

I for one, having done only wildlife photography (a whole different ball game :) ) really appreciate the advice from the people here on the forum. Each person sees something different in an image and it is good to have the feedback. :)
Joan Young

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW Joan :shock: What a beautiful picture and what a beautiful creature. I bet you were very excited to find this hopper. (my mouth is still open in awe)
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Great Image Joan. I guess if they can have cacti with elegans in the name, they surely can have grasshoppers. Still, it seems they could be better labeled all around.

Irwin

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Splendid pic of a very colourful critter, Joan ... and it's got its beady eye on you it seems :)

(Heard hoppers a few times last yr - but only saw one the whole yr :( )

pp

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Doug
I bet you were very excited to find this hopper. (my mouth is still open in awe)
Thanks Doug. I was excited and could not believe my luck. :D Now if only I can find one particular mantis I am looking for........ :D

Irwin
Still, it seems they could be better labeled all around.
Thanks Irwin. Sometimes one has to wonder at the names they give these things. :D

puzzledpaul
and it's got its beady eye on you it seems
:D So it would seem Paul, I am glad he did not think me edible. :D
Why do you think they were scarce by you last year?
Joan Young

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Oh yes, about the "beady eye on you"...

The effect is real, but it's not really what it looks like. :?

See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=3064 for explanation.

--Rik

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thats amazing Rik. I never notice this before in these insects. Thanks for sharing the info. :)
Joan Young

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< Why do you think they were scarce by you last year? >>

Unsure - someone else (Bruce?) mentioned (generally) that it's probably something to do with all the rain we had ... at critical times (from their pov) ... seems a possibility, but have no real idea.

Rik - yes, I recall same - 'beady eye ... etc' is a slightly snappier phrase tho - imo :)

pp

jaharris1001

Post by jaharris1001 »

very nice sharp shot there Joan :wink: very nice colors :D
Jim

"I'm growing older,, but not up " Jimmy Buffett

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic