daddy long legs

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tpe

daddy long legs

Post by tpe »

Finally got a camera that is working, it is so nice to be back :), except the wife had a little accident and did knocked a bunch of stuff on the floor, very expencive. The camera still works and this is the first thing that is sort of going as planned, So here is to spamming the boards as much as possible in the next few weeks :).

The blue hurts my eyes a bit, which one is nicer?

These are shot with a sony a700 (under 24 hours old :) ). a reichert 2.5x microscope objective and stacked in combinez from about 30 shots. The poor daddy long legs (Tipulidae oleracea?) was found about to expire on a late autmn evening and kept in the freezer ever since.

Thanks for looking

tim

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Tim, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles! But glad to see that at least some of the kit is still working.

The cranefly looks excellent. Minimal stacking artifacts, nice and sharp all over. Could benefit from a bit of dusting before the next photo session. Most of that debris looks like it would come off OK in the air stream of a CO2 duster. Or from a small syringe, for that matter.

The blue is a bit intense for my taste -- reminds me of a subject on its way to getting a matted-in background courtesy blue-screening. The peach is better, or I suspect a less intense blue would work well. But I never really know what I'm going to like until I try it -- which is kind of frustrating!

--Rik

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Great pictures of the "stankelben", nice to see some stacking from your hand.

Erland

Ib Mathiasen

Post by Ib Mathiasen »

Nice details in good light - the "stacking" seems to be without "halo"

As i now the nickname "Daddy long Legs" it´s only been used to Harvestmenn, and not to Crane Fly

Until now \:D/
Ib Mathiasen

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

really nice details Tim. I like the blue better but it should be less intense (like everyone is saying). The peach color offers less contrast with the subject IMO. I was expecting a different animal also :wink: great looking mouthparts :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

tpe

Post by tpe »

LOL sorry guys, it has been too long since i was in the UK :). I think as earland points out it was a case of associacion from the danish "stankelben" wich may have come from skinny legs or something similar (is that right erland)? I will see if i can change the title.

Hey Rik thanks, i will try that with a co2/syringe duster. Most of the dust is actually pollen or bits of grass, that actually stayed on the specimin throughout its 3 month stay in the freezer, but didnt show up nicely on the picture, actually I thought it would have been nice to see them better because it sort of shows what the fly had been doing.

As for the equipment, i just lost a body, a f2.8 200mm, and a tripod, but am not allowed by the wife to mention it as it distresses her too much, fortunatly she doesnt read these bords too often :), so i guess i can moan a little.

Erland/Ib, if you happen to read this do you know what has happened to insect info dk? i have not been able to read it the last few times i tried?

Thanks for the heads up IB, I am not sure why there was no halo, there was only minimal post in PS to get rid of dust on the ccd etc, i am sure it will be back next time though.

Hey Doug, i sort of liked the blue (first choice slightly off opposite on the colour wheel), it seems to make the poor thing more monster like, but yes as you say far too intense. I will try a proper harvestman next time, it would be interesting to compare mouth parts with the camel spider, that are both i think equally related to spiders and scorpions just to see how much or not the are like each other.

tim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic