The Good--The Bad---and then there is This...

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

The Good--The Bad---and then there is This...

Post by beetleman »

One big ugly spider. Found under the edge of a roof. The First picture shows the female on the left and the male on the right. They are fairly large spiders, the abdomen on the female is probably over 1cm round. The second & third picture are of a different male. If you stretched him out his length would be close to 7cm long. Picture #3 is rotated right side up so you don`t have to flip your head around. He was the biggest and darkest one of the bunch but he was not near any female spider (probably to old and ugly)

Specs for all.
Av mode
1/60s
F/8
ISO100
flash
First pic cropped about 25%

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

:shock: Sheeez Doug, could you try to get a little closer next time? :lol: I can see his bottom right fang ready to unfold in the last pic. Nice.
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

crotermund wrote::shock: Sheeez Doug, could you try to get a little closer next time? :lol:
What Craig said! UAHHH! :lol: Well done Doug. Its interesting how the spider gets bigger and bigger with every picture ...

Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

An excellent series of pics Doug. I particularly like the dramatic viewpoint on the extreme close-up.

The flash results are really good too - even lighting with no nasty reflections or burnt highlights. Are you using the on-board flash or a separate unit? Do you use a diffuser?

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yeow! :shock: That last one sure gets an arachniphobes attention. Really great shots of the crawlers there Doug. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I`m glad you liked the pictures everyone.
Bruce...I only have the popup flash on this camera, no defuser and I stepped down the flash strength by -1.5 in the Av menu. With the F/8 and the lower flash it was enough light just to give a little highlight to everything. I was actually standing on a ladder and I know the camera and my head were in the web and I kept looking around to make sure no other spiders were creeping in on me :shock: :lol: The roof edge was about 20 feet long and there were probably one pair per foot.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug wrote:
I was actually standing on a ladder and I know the camera and my head were in the web and I kept looking around to make sure no other spiders were creeping in on me The roof edge was about 20 feet long and there were probably one pair per foot.
Your a brave man Doug Breda :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic