Fair damsel breaks my heart ...

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

puzzledpaul

Fair damsel breaks my heart ...

Post by puzzledpaul »

As the big yellow orb decided to make an appearance over the weekend (after about a week of rain / wind / murk ... and repeat) I thought I'd try and make the most of it.

Had been taking some other shots of individuals, got up for a leg stretch and came upon this pair ... in rush to go back for camera, forgot about exp. comp being left on +1/3 :(

Hence blown out foliage - but at the end of the day, I'd prefer to have the shots - with all various issues (and tidy up possibilities) ... than not.

As they were 'at it' for a while, I tried different settings and thus have shots where only one is in focus - so also have some 'montage / mix'n match' possibilities :)

Canon 10D + 100mm macro (non usm)
iso 400
F9 @ 1/200
On-board flash + extra diffuser taped over front
Hand held.

As I usually use my FD 200 macro, I suppose this outing was the first real attempt at getting my head (+hands) around using the 100mm - so, useful experience.

I think the eyes are amazing :)

pp

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful color on this loving pair. I love the eyes. I don`t think it is that hot.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I don't know pp, they have some issues but all in all not bad for a rush. I have a number like that filed away too. :D

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Thx for the comments, guys.

Doug - I also don't think the main image is partic. hot (no post done as would've made things worse in that area) ... mainly that darned leaf on the left - but that would've been in a the way, even if correctly exposed. (No decent shooting angle would've excluded it)

Removal of this allows more of the left side of some of the pix to be used ... as there's some voyeuristic aphids 'in the bushes' :)

Yep - their eyes are really something else.

<< I have a number like that filed away too >>

Good one, Ken ... I suspect anyone who's been doing this for any time and doesn't admit to this is either being (extremely) economical with the truth - or a very ruthless editor :)

Sometimes make me wonder what we all actually do with our pics?
(maybe a thread topic in its own right...)

pp

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

PP commented:
Sometimes make me wonder what we all actually do with our pics?
(maybe a thread topic in its own right...)
I keep most everything, unless it is something really badly photographed, and save them to CD, for reference and for other things to look back upon. However here of late I have been thinking of an external HD, no CD's to buy and to have to keep shuffling around and external HD's are getting to where they are not really so expensive. If photos are all that one is going to store on an external HD, that is a lot of photos if the HD is 80 to 100 gigs, even at 40 gigs thats a lot of photos. :roll:

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Ken - I was probably too vague re my use of the word 'do' :)

I was really referring to how ppl 'use' them, rather than how they store them in some sort of digital equivalent of a shoe box- ie do they print them, market same (in some way) etc etc or just leave them on a cd / hd for their own perusal ... just like digging prints out of the aforementioned box, every now and again :)

Pros obviously (have to) make their pics work for them - I was musing over what the rest 'do' ... that word again.

Re hd backup - as I can't quantify hd failure rates compared with cd /dvd I can't comment (suspect hd much higher) ... but I've read many posts in other fields where ppl have lost irreplaceable data (sometimes yrs worth of work on showreels) because their hd has failed (and they didn't back up to other media).

I don't recollect seeing one where their backups have also failed - or have heard anyone bemoan the fact that they made too many backups :)

Re sorting / editing, I'm getting more ruthless (prob cos I have more to dump than others :) ) as time goes by.

pp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic